What I scrounged today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riff

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2015
Virginia
Just thought it would be nice to have a catch all for photos and posts of what we found and scrounged up today.

We took a trip up towards the city area and took the truck to let it run on the highway and blow out the exhaust a bit. Found an ad for large ash rounds from a tree that a landscaper took down, but the last few rounds were too heavy for him. Got about half this trip and might go back for the rest tomorrow. Sorry for the dark pic, we had just gotten home.

20151229_180508.jpg

Free is always good! Surprised the landscaper didn't take the rounds. Enjoy the heat...

Those look like some pretty good wood. I would take the saw with me and go back and get the rest.
Like Lake Girl said nothing like free wood or as I like to say free BTU's.

Free is always good! Surprised the landscaper didn't take the rounds. Enjoy the heat...

He took the rest of the tree, those rounds were too big for him to lift and he didn't feel like busting anymore at the property.

Those look like some pretty good wood. I would take the saw with me and go back and get the rest.
Like Lake Girl said nothing like free wood or as I like to say free BTU's.

Showed up the next morning to grab em and they were gone. Worked out though, another landscaper was taking down a white oak and offering up some of the wood since it was more than he could fill his dump, trailer, and pickup with. We got a bed of nice sized rounds :) Ain't seen it like this before around here and not complaining.

Oh yea nothing like free oak. Good it was not a wasted trip. Just goes to show you never know.

We had some utility work done, and they left me a little bit of stuff.... obviously they didn't stack it so nicely!
20160105_155047.jpg

someone was giving away a bunch of wood. i went and picked some up, then found out that it was all willow. They have a ton more, but after doing some reading, it probably isn't worth my time to get a few more truck-loads. That being said, I finally got a picture of my wood hauler!
20160130_101820.jpg

Reactions: Riff
This weekend was a good weekend for scrounging... i found some free rocks on CL so i can start building my wall, and when I got there, there were a few rounds of some pine that they didn't want that had been there for 2 years or so they said. I took them home and split them up. They were about 13%.
20160213_114429.jpg
Here is my hauler in action....
20160213_115953.jpg

Then the next day, I told my wife I was going to spend the day with her for Valentines Day, and no do anything with the wood pile, but that was short lived. she got a message about someone giving away free firewood, so off i went! This stuff had been drying for a few years as well, was mostly split, and all really dry. I also spent the rest of the afternoon romping around the backyard, playing in the mud and came across more wood that the power company guys had left that I didn't notice the last time!
20160214_123205.jpg

I love that picture of the little guy and the smiling pup! Don't think the rocks will burn too good lol! :)

Plus life must be good out there in Colorado now, been a misplaced Broncos fan here in PA. since 1973!

Free wood is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.