What is ’noodling’.............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
. and what are noodles? I've been seeing this business about noodling and such from time to time but less lately and have gotten to wonder, just what is noodling, and what are noodles.............

You get a bunch of noodles (rather than wood chips) when you are trying to split a log with the chain saw. Cutting like that is hard on the chain and I have never liked doing it or even seeing it done. There are some who claim they can cut part way into a log and then put a wedge in the cut and drive it with a sledgehammer and they claim it is easier. In all my years of handling wood I've never seen one time that it would be necessary.

Backwoods Savage said:
You get a bunch of noodles (rather than wood chips) when you are trying to split a log with the chain saw. Cutting like that is hard on the chain and I have never liked doing it or even seeing it done. There are some who claim they can cut part way into a log and then put a wedge in the cut and drive it with a sledgehammer and they claim it is easier. In all my years of handling wood I've never seen one time that it would be necessary.

Cutting with the grain of the wood. I'll do it to halve bucked up rounds that are still too heavy to lift on the truck and I don't have my splitter along. Does not seem hard on the chain or saw, but the long "noodles" tend to clog up in the clutch cover if you let them.

Ahh- thanks, I've done some of that, recently................

3fordasho said:
Does not seem hard on the chain or saw, but the long "noodles" tend to clog up in the clutch cover if you let them.
You likely have a saw with an external clutch, they tend to clog up easier that those with an inboard clutch. Some saws a PITA to noodle with, others (such as the Dolmar 7900) are great for noodling.

I agree, sometimes it's a lot easier to noodle those really big problem pieces if you don't have the right equipment around to handle them.

Wet1 said:
3fordasho said:
Does not seem hard on the chain or saw, but the long "noodles" tend to clog up in the clutch cover if you let them.
You likely have a saw with an external clutch, they tend to clog up easier that those with an inboard clutch. Some saws a PITA to noodle with, others (such as the Dolmar 7900) are great for noodling.

I agree, sometimes it's a lot easier to noodle those really big problem pieces if you don't have the right equipment around to handle them.

I use to muscle and fineness them into the splitter but now its all noodles for me!

"What is noodling"??

Thats where some redneck jumps into murky water and catches big ol catfish by hand. Crazy bastages.

Jags said:
"What is noodling"??

Thats where some redneck jumps into murky water and catches big ol catfish by hand. Crazy bastages.

That's what I thought he was talking about too. Get in the Kansas River, reach under the riverbank, find a fish (you hope, vs a snapping turtle or snake), grab him in the mouth and pull him out, ... or if he is big enough he pulls you under and they find you floating facedown downstream. I don't do it, just know of it.

Here's some noodles

Attachments

• noodling 2.bmp
    333.3 KB · Views: 719
Wet1 said:
3fordasho said:

I was thinking of my makita 6401 when I mentioned the clogging problem. I just find it's best to pull the saw out of the cut every so often and rev it a bit to clear the "noodles". I'd hate to have it worse with a outboard clutch equipped saw.

Jags said:
"What is noodling"??

I've seen them do this...freakin crazy bastages!
What a guy does for food....it'll never cease to amaze me.....

I have done it several times on large rounds too big to move and just made a slot for my wedges if they start bouncing out works great.
I know one fellow uses his saw on any splits over 2' or so says it works alot better than his axe. Good thing he only burns a couple of face cords a year in the fireplace.

smokinjay said:
Here's some noodles
Save those noodles, they are great for fire starting! You might want to offer some to customers as well, most people will come back asking for more...

Wet1 said:
smokinjay said:
Here's some noodles
Save those noodles, they are great for fire starting! You might want to offer some to customers as well, most people will come back asking for more...

my son-in-law also makes a Lot of walking sticks with a sharp knife that makes that same noodle very close to the furnace and your right it does makes a great fire starter! and I do have a pile of very small splitts to throw in the mix with the purchase of a load of wood.

WoodMann said:
. and what are noodles? I've been seeing this business about noodling and such from time to time but less lately and have gotten to wonder, just what is noodling, and what are noodles.............

Isn't that what they do "down South" to catch catfish bare handed?!

PJF1313 said:
WoodMann said:

Isn't that what they do "down South" to catch catfish bare handed?!

Way to read the thread guy...way to read the thread 8-/ :cheese:

Different from "canoodling" I suppose

smokinjay said:
Here's some noodles

Cool- that's what I've got. Been spreadin' them around the yard thinking that this will eliminate weeds next season. And now to compliment my noodles, I'm gonna get a poodle..................

This noodling is worth huge $$. Not for the animal activist.
"Noodling is force-feeding geese a fat and grain mash. Small farmers massage "noodles" down geese throats by hand. Large producers auger geese full of mash and maximize fat production through intensive confinement. The product is fat-laden flesh and an oversized liver. Even when not confined, these massive birds do not wander far from their food and water. These geese must have access to unlimited food during their first three months, with additional calcium provided to support development of their large frame."

Backwoods Savage said:

How is it hard on the chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.