1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What is a Reasonable Price to Pay to Have Chimmey Cleaned and or Scoped

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Malatu, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Malatu

Malatu New Member

We've lived in our two story home for 10 years. We've never used the fireplace and one of these days I'm going to install a wood-stove or a pellet stove. In the mean-time, I want to use the fireplace on weekends just for fun for the rest of this winter. Two questions:

1. What would be a reasonable price to pay to have the chimney cleaned?

2. What would be a reasonable price to pay for a cleaning and to have inspected with a scope?.

I called one chimney sweep and they want $189 to clean it and $350 to clean it and scope it. I thought the cleaning was reasonable but I'm questioning the up-charge for the scoping.

Assuming the scoping is reasonable, would it be worth-while and what would they be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Malatu

Malatu New Member

I just scheduled a cleaning and scope inspection for $250. I think I'll buy brushes and clean it myself next time.
  3. mizzou

mizzou New Member

Loc:
    south of wellington, mo.
    $229 for clean and level II inspection.
  4. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    They would looking for any busted tile or large gaps between the tiles. It's VERY rarely necessary. An experienced sweep can see most any issue from the top and bottom, without a camera. The exception would be an excessively tall flue, or a flue with multiple offsets.
    A1Stoves.com likes this.