what is better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdzracing

Sep 14, 2011
michigan
What is better a blower or a flapper for a owb. i know the blower allows you to burn greener wood but we burn green wood in our other wood stove a the shop with just an air ajuster. thanks for the input

Dry wood is better.

I would go with the blower.

You can always hose down your wood before you throw it in if it gets too dry.

mikefrommaine said:
I would go with the blower.

You can always hose down your wood before you throw it in if it gets too dry.

:lol: That is good.

Seriously though RD. The blower would probably work better. But dry wood added in would make things so much better. Why the question? Are you thinking about a change with your boiler or the shop boiler?

Gary_602z said:
Ouch this is going to hurt! Just warning ya! :)

Gary

My thought exactly. Count yourself fortunate that Dennis don't hang out on this Board . . . :red:

Forced draft will always provide higher temperature burn. Just think of the old blacksmiths forge............

As to the green wood thing................I have to ask........why would you burn green, unseasoned wood? Do you realize that no matter what you are burning it in, you are probably burning 20-30% more wood to get the same heat output? Do you realize that burning green wood is one of the things that got EPA involved in our industry?

:eek:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Gary_602z said:
Ouch this is going to hurt! Just warning ya! :)

Gary

My thought exactly. Count yourself fortunate that Dennis don't hang out on this Board . . . :red:
Yeah, That might get him off his milk crate, Randy

Seems that everyone is going green these days.
Sorry, just had to say it. Seriously though,
burning green wood is like having wood that is
well seasoned and throwing half of it away. Not to mention
the associated problems that accompany green wood burning.

KTLM said:
Seems that everyone is going green these days.
Sorry, just had to say it. Seriously though,
burning green wood is like having wood that is
well seasoned and throwing half of it away. Not to mention
the associated problems that accompany green wood burning.

seems like there must a government program......tax credits because it's "green wood"? %-P

Hi
The one i like the best so far is...Green wood is wood that containes the same liguid that firefighters use to extinquish fires.
Say no more.
Thomas

LOL I think you'll find that most guys and gals here are as relaxed as is legal in 47 out of the 50 states. Oopsie, Texas isn't a state.

To each his own on color. Some like green. I like Red.

rdzracing said:
What is better a blower or a flapper for a owb.

I read that as the difference between Natural Drft vs Induced/forced draft.

I don't claim to be any sort of expert, but I would think induced would be ideal where you have storage, since theory says you can produce all the heat you want and put it into storage. But induced ought to work well with non-storage, as the (assumed) higher cfm would get temps back up quicker when demand comes back on.

That said my unit is not an OWB, but is Natural Draft.

maple1 said:
Serious question - what's a flapper?

The "flapper" is the means of combustion air control. Around me there are two different OWBs, and one uses the flapper, the other uses a fan. The Central Boiler models have a solenoid valve connected to a flapper in the door. When the water temp gets below setpoint, it opens the flapper up to allow air in, and the fire burns. When it hits setpoint, the flapper closes.

The other is the Heatmor, and that one uses a forced induction fan to add air to the fire.

I guess there isnt one that is better, because it depends on what you want out of your system. Simplicity? Ability to get a fire going quickly from coals? I would lean towards the fan myself, but thats just because I think it would work better. Then again there are a lot of central boiler models that seem to huff along just fine.

So a flapper is simply a draft door then? Okay, I guess I've got a flapper & didn't know it - I was confused there for a minute or a bunch.

How much natural draft would an OWB get with a chimney so short anyway? I would think they'd be real pigs without some sort of forced draft.

Some of the older Central Boilers used a sliding draft door along the side of the boiler instead of the flapper mounted in the loading door....

But yeah, its essentially forced vs. natural draft as mentioned by deadBTUs.

A fire will burn if there is air there, and they seem to work, so I guess the amount of draft is "enough". :)

I have absolutely no idea.

The other wrinkle in that comparison between the two types of OWB I have seen is that the Central Boiler is unpressurized, but the Heatmor is pressurized, so that can impact things also.

I would think that the fan would help get a fire going more quickly from a bed of smoldering coals, but then I dont know if that means it would push more excess heat out the stack.

rdzracing said:
What is better a blower or a flapper for a owb. i know the blower allows you to burn greener wood but we burn green wood in our other wood stove a the shop with just an air ajuster. thanks for the input
Says right here we burn green wood

LOL, I burn

1)ham/pork bones
2)Porcipine carcasses

so the dawg won't get into them.

I'm not advocating such practices, but realistically, they happen in the real world.

If you can get ahead by burning fossil this year, so that next year and every year thereafter you can burn proper Denniswood, then burning fossil one year makes sense. If you are always gonna burn green wood, then it don't make sense to burn fossil this year.

I just put a blower fan on my 5036 and put a switch on it so it only runs when i want it to. It burns more wood with the fan and I believe it blows the heat out the stack. I have mine to help during those morning when I sleep in too long and need to stoke it up. The blower works great for that. I do have some seasond pine that was given to me and I burn that and use the fan to get that going. Its a good tool to have on old smokie but seasoned wood is the answer for all wood burners. Just plan works better.

Status
Not open for further replies.