What is going to make me happiest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristin

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
northern NY
Hi Forum

I have been lurking around here for a while and am so impressed by the amount of knowledge available. I thought I would humbly ask for your collective advice to help us make our big decision. Here are the details.

We are in northern New York, just south of the Canadian border. We have a few nights every winter in the neg 20 range, below zero is normal for part of the year.

For the last 12 years our wood stove has been our only source of heat, and we have *no backup heating system*. We are running it 24/7 during the cold part of winter and also using it part time in the spring and fall.

Our house is a 1904 two-story farm house, about 2000 sq', with good insulation considering its age (blown in walls plus batting/blue board between basement and first floor, insulated attic) and mostly new double pane windows. The wood stove is centrally located on the 1st floor and we have a floor vent above the stove to move heat upstairs to the bedrooms.

We cut and split our own wood -- a combination of ash, oak, birch, sugar maple, and other assorted hardwood. We try to get two years ahead on our wood pile but occasionally we do get caught without enough and have been known to burn less than perfectly dry wood.

We have been using a good old VC Vigilant from the '80s, which our neighbor gave us about five years ago to replace something even older and less efficient. We are thrifty farmers and up to this point the vigilant has done well enough for us. However, we had a pretty good year, and it is finally time to think about upgrading. Our goals are to save on wood, keep the temps a bit more even in the house, reduce wasted energy and pollution, and increase the burn time.

After reading here I am pretty sure we want a cat or hybrid. To us it seems the benefits in efficiency and low emission outweigh the simplicity of a non-cat model.

We are not scared to spend some money, considering this is our only heat source and we intend to use it for decades, but we don't want to *waste* money. Like I said, we are thrifty farmers. Waste, to me, would be: fancy for fancy's sake, high-cost brand name for no benefit in quality, etc.

That said, I do have limits, aesthetically. The Ideal Steel meets so many of our desires but it hurts my eyes when I look at it. With apologies to those of you who have and love it, and respect to Woodstock for designing such an awesome stove, I just can't do it in its current incarnation. It would probably be my husband's first choice.

I've been toggling back and forth between the Woodstock Progress Hybrid and the Blaze King King.

Anyone care to shout out an opinion, or tell me what else I should be considering? I would most appreciate it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one . . . but in terms of looks (beauty is in the eye of the beholder though) I think the PH has both the beauty and the brains . . . the BK to me is kinda like that really smart kid that does really well, but their glasses are taped up and they have a bad case of acne whereas the PH is the good looking kid that knows how to have a good time, but also when to buckle down and study hard and performs well.

I think jake said it all. Don't know about the PH warranty but BK has a 10 year on the cat I'm not sure about the stove itself . Don't think you could go wrong with either one . Maybe consider firebox dimensions vs sqft of heating needs

Taking into consideration your current stove (VC) and your ability to do well with it....I think I agree with the above about the PH or the Ashford 30. Both are well known and loved brands. Both should do well considering your goals. Both will give long, clean burns and be comparable to the heating capacity of your old VC when needed.

What's your current chimney setup? Blaze King King needs 8", while the others you are considering have 6" flue collars.

Reactions: Osagebndr
I live a few hours south of you. 2000 sq ft colonial. I had aCream Jotul Firelite Cat for 18 years. Heated the house well. It is now in my garage with a cracked burn plate and a Cat chamber that needs a rebuild. I loved the stove but wanted something simpler. I installed a Mahogany Quad Isle Royale for this burn season. I love it. Heats better than the old stove and for me easier to operate once I got the hang of it.

Hello northern NYer, I'm from that area as well and my folks are still there (a bit south of Watertown, where all the snow tends to pile up !!!) they also had a Vigilant when I was a kid... put in I think around the time they bought the house in early 80's and just swapped it out a few years back.

Anyhow... I've been debating between the 3 as well but may likely hold off until I move, still undecided. In the looks department the BK and IS seem about on par to me and not nearly as nice as the PH. However the IS can be customized and there is quite a variety of 'looks'. I found Woodstocks website to really lack in showing off the stove. Sometimes real pics from installs on hearths can really change the look. Just do a google search like this https://www.google.com/search?q=woo...=nm3SVKOkH42UyATIuoK4AQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw and see if any of those look better to you. As for BK King, if I were going to get it I'd probably get the 'parlor' model with the legs, I don't like the look on the pedestal.

What are you using for chimney? Remember the King needs 8" but the others are 6".

First post in and I already like you.;);lol;lol
Thanks!! I'm 59 and have burned my whole life. Haven't paid for wood since 1991 thanks to running obsession which allows me to find wood on the side of the road and then i go back with the PU and load her up! Love the new stove,Quite a rush watching the secondaries kick in. Still trying to figure out best place for the thermometer on it.

Love the new stove....

Good, very good, but with all due respect, lets not sidetrack the thread. We gotta get the OP some new shoes....

Reactions: Osagebndr
Im assuming since you run a vigilant that you have a properly installed 8" flue. If that's the case, the Blaze King King would be my hands down choice, considering that I do not consider that looks to be considered when considering a wood stove.

All things considered.

I just installed a PH this past Wednesday and am already in love with it. It is heating my 2200 sqft split level home with very poor insulation quite well. If you count ny high ceilings i am probably heating 3000 sqft maybe more. I am able to get 11-14hour low and slow overnight burns easy, and 5-8 hour high burns easily. I am not even using great wood at the moment, its all rather punky.

This stove is a real beauty. Pictures dont do it justice IMO. I couldnt be happier with my purchase. However, it is getting my hearth much warmer than expected. I would recommend going with their non ash lip r value requirement even if you do get the ash lip. I am going to modify my hearth come spring to 1.5 with some mineral board just to err on the safe side.

I am finding the PH super controllable, and very efficient. Flue temps are staying 215-320 surface temp where as with my old stove they would run 300-400.

After a long overnight burn of 12ish hours i an still awaking to a stovetop of 300+ degrees and a good 4-6 inches of coals. I usually open the air more around the 12 hour mark and burn down the coals and boost stove top back up to 350-400 in preparation for the reload. So really i could get a 15-16 hour "burn" using this marginal sub par wood and still be at or above 250 stove top.

Very happy with my PH

Reactions: brad wilton
Once the snow melts, take a little road trip over to West Leb and see the PH, and the IS and the rest of the Woodstock show, up close and in person. See if it makes you happy. (Bring a trailer, or take a truck, just in case!)

BK would be fine, too. Or consider the big Buck: the 4.4 cu ft model 91. That's a lot of stove. What is your current flue setup? It takes 8" pipe.
http://www.buckstove.com/model-91.html#.VNKCfo-Bvjc

Welcome to the forums!

Can't speak for BK, but it sure looks like a nice stove. I can speak for the PH. I live in a house that was built the year the Civil war ended. No insulation. Woodstove that existed was a Jotul F500 in fireplace. Last fall I cleaned and re gasketed stove and began to use it. Immediately I realized that if I go through this winter with this stove I will be seriously in trouble. In my previous home I had a Mansfield which I loved. Problem was the flue is up only. Having been through steel, cast, and soapstone stoves in my life, for me, soapstone is the only option. Less harsh radiant heat. Looked at the Progress and the rear flue fit perfectly into our existing flue. Was not familiar with a cat stove and was skeptical. My new girlfriend had one years ago and was skeptical also. Woodstock assured me that it's a whole new beast from the old 90's models. So I reserved one. My girlfriend was less than sure that this stove would be any better than the Jotul. My gut said otherwise. 2 months into using this stove, she can't believe the difference. (She also, until she met me, didn't realize that an outside air intake was an option on either stove.) I like the cooking plate above, I like that it's only a side loader, as we have carpet right up to the "ash lip" and the way it's designed, the carpet says cool and never a chance of a coal hitting it. Glass always clear, (not so with the Mansfield). I'm also burning less than seasoned wood. Maple felled in Sept. Burns fine. Checked Cat twice in 2 months (which is easy and takes 5 minutes to clean) first time I'd say 50% clogged, next time not clogged at all. Stove runs 24/7. Tonight will be 6 below possibly, so glad I spent the $3200, I don't expect any issues. The Jotul is sitting right next to the PH on a dolly, when we move, it goes right back in and the PH is going with us.

With 10" legs and the ash lip, the PH requires 8" hearth in front of the stove. Otherwise it requires 12 or 16" hearth protection in front of the stove.

Thanks so much for all the opinions and info. It is great to hear from people who are using these stoves. I think I'm going to take Branchburner's advice and load the family up for a trip to NH over winter break to see the woodstock stoves in person. If we don't do this soon it will be sugaring season and then planting season and then there will be no time for it until next winter so I am eager to get it done! Thanks again, everyone. Will post the outcome.

Kristin,

Just an FYI the PH is on back order until the end of March. Spoke to WS yesterday and that is what I was told. You can put down a deposit to lock in the sale price. Let us know how you make out as this is one of the stoves I am interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.