What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jay,

Looks like after this long weekend, we'll be in the 40's and 50's for the rest of the month. You'll probably have similar weather.

This has been a surprisingly mild winter. I'm going to have an extra cord to throw back in the stacks. I'm ok with that.

Black Cherry cooking at the moment. 23 outside 71 inside. It was pushing 76 and I opened the window for a while.

Winter's coming for two days this weekend and I've got the big guns ready. Black Locust and Sugar Maple on deck. They're predicting a high of 9 on Saturday with wind and a low of -11, but I'm willing to bet I'll see at least -15 in this valley. Gotta give the chimney a quick brushing tomorrow..

40-50 all next week and beyond that. Unbelievable. It's nice having my wood stacks nearly fully stocked in mid February. Last year right now I was running out of Locust and cutting dead standing Elm to stretch my good stuff.

Black Cherry cooking at the moment. 23 outside 71 inside. It was pushing 76 and I opened the window for a while.

Winter's coming for two days this weekend and I've got the big guns ready. Black Locust and Sugar Maple on deck. They're predicting a high of 9 on Saturday with wind and a low of -11, but I'm willing to bet I'll see at least -15 in this valley. Gotta give the chimney a quick brushing tomorrow..

40-50 all next week and beyond that. Unbelievable. It's nice having my wood stacks nearly fully stocked in mid February. Last year right now I was running out of Locust and cutting dead standing Elm to stretch my good stuff.

Last year this time I had ZERO dry wood, due to buying a house in the middle of January and I paid the price burning WET wood. This time around I have a decent amount of ash locked and loaded, with a small amount of oak, but hopefully this years "Polar Vortex" is short lived. I don't have enough to last me until April 15 again.

Still burning mostly hard maple. I did move some butternut up to the house just to change it up some. It doesn't last very long, but while I'm home in the evenings I don't mind loading the stove often. We have been in the teens during the day and single digits at night so my stove is constantly going right now.

Last year I had to get into this years wood to get me through. This year I hope to have about a cord of ash and black walnut left over.

burning fresh split ash moisture meter reads at 18%

It's nine here with a 20-25mph wind. The IR is presently consuming some nice apple, ash and a couple small silver maple splits. 73 in the downstairs 66 upstairs. Love this stove.

12::F last night, 16 right now and NOTHING in the stove, just letting the coals burn out so I can empty the ashes.
75::F inside with two fans going. All the heat coming from passive solar in our south facing windows. It's an amazingly sunny day with a few inches of snow glued to every branch in the forest. Magical.

Reactions: baseroom
12::F last night, 16 right now and NOTHING in the stove, just letting the coals burn out so I can empty the ashes.
75::F inside with two fans going. All the heat coming from passive solar in our south facing windows. It's an amazingly sunny day with a few inches of snow glued to every branch in the forest. Magical.
We have a cottage on a lake south of Bancroft........I imagine its going to be really cold there the next few nights!!

We have a cottage on a lake south of Bancroft........I imagine its going to be really cold there the next few nights!!
I've been looking for waterfront cottages in the area and the prices are astronomic!!!

I've been looking for waterfront cottages in the area and the prices are astronomic!!!
Dad had it built in 1962 $3200! We have upgraded through the years. Dad is 95 now, he say's "best investment I ever made" We totally agree! It is our favorite place on earth.

1770's house: less-than-straight splits and odd lumps of oak, dial set for 10 hour burn.
1890's addition: oil-fired boiler running on-and-off
1990's addition: pin-straight splits of oak packed damn full, dial set for 24 hour burn.

Cold started this afternoon before work with pine kindle and loaded ash/oak just to try to get some coals in there for when I got home, but came home to a cold stove. Rebooted, on to a major cocktail of pine kindle, cherry, ash, and a split of oak for 1st load. Prepping for -15 to -20 with 40-50 mph winds tomorrow night for wind chills -50ish. Going to try to get a good overnight burn going tonight, to load into tomorrow day for a good bed of coals tomorrow night.

Burned up the rest of my big knots, root balls, y sections in the basement Drolet yesterday. Feels good to get them burned.

With the extreme cold we're into I'm using any big guns I have . I have large splits of Iron wood (new favorite), locust mixed in with a steady diet of oak. Will be running the central heat here and there to make sure I don't pop any pipes. Thankfully only supposed to last a couple days.

cbce81f862dd55666a152eaf7cf1ab13.jpg

Getting cold here so it's into the red oak!

A mix of doug fir, madrona and a big chunk of holly.

With the extreme cold we're into I'm using any big guns I have . I have large splits of Iron wood (new favorite), locust mixed in with a steady diet of oak. Will be running the central heat here and there to make sure I don't pop any pipes. Thankfully only supposed to last a couple days.
Ironwood,locust,and oak? Those could almost be the holy trinity! Stay warm.

Just brought a load of apple in. I need the good stuff tonight!

9 below right now, winds are picking up and pushing to -15. Expecting -50 wind chills over night. Got a load of ash now, going to be tossing some oak all nighters in on the next load

oak, oak, and more oak. Managed to run three full loads of red oak thru one Ashford today. Running at or near high, with the fans cranking, to keep this cave above freezing.

Spent most of the day outside, shortening every stick in a cord of wood from 20" to 17", and moving it all up to the house. Can't wait 'till I've worked thru all this old Jotul 20" wood.