What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
currently ashes; stove is cold
we are in the hi 30s through 50s for the foreseeable

grass is getting pretty high and I still have so much roofing tearout laying on the ground, I gotta clean that up to cut! not to mention all the field borders...masses to prune, collect and burn

lawn tractor requires a service and I have a 90 minute film's audio to mix

fun never stops!

Rainy all day and just kept a fire going to keep the dampness away. It let up long enough to get in an hour and a half of splitting. Going down to 38 by morning. Filled the night load up with 5 splits of ash. Should keep things cozy all night
Same here ended up having an afternoon fire. Rainy and damp outside temp 40 and high 30’s tonight. Fire brought house up to 72 and comfortable. 34 tomorrow morning so AM fire than upper 40’s and will use mini split.

We have an outside temp of 28.9 tonight, the basement temp is starting out at 75, both living area temps are 73 with the sleeper at 73.

The wood stove has a load of maple in it for the night. I did have the pellet stove on high in the low setting today.

34 this morning. Quick top down of oak, maple and a biobrick. 600 STT bringing main floor up to temp. Won’t reload since upper 40’ today.

We had a low of 22.6 this morning, the basement temp started off at 72, the living area temps were 68 & 69 with the sleeper at 69.

The pellet stove was used today for heat but it's off.

35 degrees, windy and rainy. Had a shoulder season fire this afternoon that left me decent coals. Just loaded up with 6 mongo ash splits. Almost full, but not a great game of Tetris. She'll be really snortin' shortly...

We have an outside temp of 37.4 tonight, the basement temp started off at 73, the living area temps are 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 68 the last I checked.

When I came in from working in the woods today, I shut the pellet stove off. Tonight the wood stove has three splits of beech and two splits of maple in it, that should be enough heat for the night.

We had lows in the mid 30s overnight so I had about 7 logs in the stove. Cool and cloudy today low 40s so I imagine another one tonight to keep us comfortable. Coffee’s on, enjoy the weekend all!

Low 30’s this morning. Rain and wind coming tonight. House 64. Top down start to heat heat up the house which got to 64 overnight. Mostly oak with a birch split to get things going.

Yes coffee goes well with a morning fire

Our outside temp this morning was 40.8, both temps in the living area were 69, the sleeper temp was 69 and the basement temp started out at 72.

We're running the pellet stove today.

Yahoo sez currently 41F outside and around 40F real feel

earlier today real feel was at 33F and inside temps were 55-59...it's just too chilly in this big stone barn conversion without a fire

I finally replaced the window seal for the Panadero Delice door and wow, what I difference!
I've been wondering why the back of the stove was burning so slowly...air leak was why! Duh...

I'd been putting off replacing the seal because I presumed I might have to replace the door seal as well once I removed the window seal clips...nope, the bigger fire rope seated fine after replacing the clips and was not too disturbed. I'm pretty careful with high attention to detail on this stuff. That seal from last year was only halfway attached (top half practically fell right off once the window was removed). Stove is clearly back to working at high efficiency.

I did my version of top down with mainly apple and ash. Burned mostly ash this afternoon...a piece of siberian elm and beech along the way. And have just now graduated to some oak, getting ready to keep it going this next week. No sun and rain forecast for the foreseeable.

Also, the new seal is keeping the window very clean. I look forward to seeing how it performs overnight.

29 out going down to 24. Another load of big ash.
17100444657881638470267916702620.jpg

We went without any heat going overnight. The temp this morning was 35.2, the living area temps were 68 & 69, the basement temp was 69 with the sleeper at 68.

Since we don't have any high winds at the moment, we're having a shoulder season fire this morning with some pine.

Nothing today. Not going to lie, I'm happy with it. I've reached the "I'm sick of moving firewood" portion of the season. I have like 1/5 a cord I wouldn't mind using up but I'm good. Just overnight fires probably from here on our barring a big weather shift. The future looks 50+ during the day. It's a New New England these days. March used to be crazy snow then 60 then snow now it's just 50+ and wet daily.

Same here. Warm all week and might hit 60. Used just shy of a cord about 120 cubic feet. Ran mini splits more during those low 40 temps. Got my electric bill for Feb and only $129 which is great. NG was $136. 2 degrees colder this Feb compared to last year and I was not reloading late like the previous year hence the 8.7% increase YOY. Overall happy with these cost.

Same here. Warm all week and might hit 60. Used just shy of a cord about 120 cubic feet. Ran mini splits more during those low 40 temps. Got my electric bill for Feb and only $129 which is great. NG was $136. 2 degrees colder this Feb compared to last year and I was not reloading late like the previous year hence the 8.7% increase YOY. Overall happy with these cost.
I'll have to go out back and do a little math to get my total since I pulled from three stacks but I estimate I used between 2.75 to 3 cords this season. Incredibly light use considering I'm full time wood heat and I was burning on a lot of the 45 degree days. A real New England winter typically has me closer to 4 cords burned.

If this is the new normal I'll be on a 4 year cycle instead of 3. I can't complain about having more bone dry wood to use but I miss snow and real winters. Part of the allure of living here.

I'll have to go out back and do a little math to get my total since I pulled from three stacks but I estimate I used between 2.75 to 3 cords this season. Incredibly light use considering I'm full time wood heat and I was burning on a lot of the 45 degree days. A real New England winter typically has me closer to 4 cords burned.

If this is the new normal I'll be on a 4 year cycle instead of 3. I can't complain about having more bone dry wood to use but I miss snow and real winters. Part of the allure of living here.
I get it. Have not used my snowblower in 2 years now.

I have 3 cords left so at a cord a year I’m on 3 year plan but want to allow for 1.5 cords a year to be safe so getting 2 more cords. Having one delivered next week. These will be for either year 3 or 4.

I'm making a new thread about usage to keep this one focused on what's in the stove.
(Cold cold ashes for me.)

Last edited:
Most of our snow will come tonight and tomorrow if the forecast is correct, the wood stove has pine, beech & maple in it.

We have an outside temp of 21.4 tonight, the basement temp started out at 74, both temps in the living area are 70 with the sleeper temp at 69.

The wood stove has six splits of beech for the overnight load, hopefully that will keep the temps warm enough throughout the night.

Reactions: Bobbob
it's still just cool enough to keep burning

I burned mostly ash mini splits today

currently all ash save one stick of beech in there

the new window seal working A TREAT!

I'll keep it going overnite