What is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I see these things growing on the leaves every year but not sure what it is. Probably most will know what kind of a leaf it is.

What is it.JPG

Reactions: thewoodlands
Some sort of insect structure. Is my guess. An. The leaf??? Would need to see more and possibly won't know. Y'all have some different trees up there a southern forester does not see.

Dennis I am not sure what that growth is?? Likely an insect as mentioned above but which one is beyond my knowledge. My first guess on the leaf/tree is mulberry but the one in my yard has leaves that almost look plastic they are so shiny so I am just a clueless to all above QnA :)

The leaf is of a witch hazel.

Reactions: ScotO
Dennis, does the leaf get eaten under the blob? Thinking it might be an insect too using the leaf as a host.

Dennis that growth is a gall. Galls are caused by an aphid, A witch hazel aphid no doubt.
I've never seen a witch hazel bush or tree without them. Never heard that they do any damage.
Do I win anything?:)

I had seen the same growth on a really old oak at work.

Good call Paulie! My nephew gave me several large spiked galls from his oak tree - next thing I knew, I had a classroom full of tiny (harmless) wasps!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Dennis that growth is a gall. Galls are caused by an aphid, A witch hazel aphid no doubt.
I've never seen a witch hazel bush or tree without them. Never heard that they do any damage.
If you go to Bug Guide and type in Witch Hazel Cone Gall Aphid(Hormaphis hamamelidis)see if the pics look the same. I would say right on the money with that one Mr. Walnut.

Yes. You just won the gold handled pee pot. ;lol

If you go to Bug Guide and type in Witch Hazel Cone Gall Aphid(Hormaphis hamamelidis)see if the pics look the same. I would say right on the money with that one Mr. Walnut.

Yes, I Googled the witch hazel gall and that is it for sure. I thought it something like this but never before had I been curious enough to look it up or ask about it. See how nice this forum an be?

For others that may want to know, hopefully this fall I'll remember to take some pictures of the nuts and flowers of the witch hazel. They flower just a really short time before the leaf falls. On a sunny and warm October afternoon, if you are sitting near one you will hear a snap and then a second or three later you'll hear the seed hit the leaves on the ground. They can easily spit their seed 10' or more. Sort of reminds one of a sport spitting spirea.... :rolleyes:

Dennis, does the leaf get eaten under the blob? Thinking it might be an insect too using the leaf as a host.

As you no doubt know already Al, you are right on.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Yes, I Googled the witch hazel gall and that is it for sure. I thought it something like this but never before had I been curious enough to look it up or ask about it. See how nice this forum an be?

For others that may want to know, hopefully this fall I'll remember to take some pictures of the nuts and flowers of the witch hazel. They flower just a really short time before the leaf falls. On a sunny and warm October afternoon, if you are sitting near one you will hear a snap and then a second or three later you'll hear the seed hit the leaves on the ground. They can easily spit their seed 10' or more. Sort of reminds one of a sport spitting spirea.... :rolleyes:
Is there an annual witch hazel seed spitting contest in your area?

Is there an annual witch hazel seed spitting contest in your area?

Maybe we should make it an annual contest?! Since the turkeys moved in we do not get as much new growth from the witch hazel because they eat all the seeds. Of course the squirrels get some too as do the pats.

Wish the pats would make a big comeback but we have very few anymore. Maybe I shot too many years ago...

The pats are on the downward path right now. The peak was 2011. Boz had over 150 points last year. I hope this year will be close. Timberdoodles are way up. I won't shoot them unless I am with someone who will eat them as I don't care for the taste.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.