What is my fireplace floor made of, and how do I repair it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Glaseddonut

Jan 26, 2017
Charlott, NC
I've been demoing my hearth and surround in my recently bought 1955 house in NC.

Everything has been floated in thick set mortar, and I noticed as I was demoing the hearth, some small cracks and chips in the fireplace floor itself (which I wasn't planning to demo).

Inspecting it closer with my hand, I was able to pull of large chunks easily! It appears to be a large black piece adhered to the same thick set mortar as everything else, not tiles or bricks.

Any idea of what it is and how to safely repair it for fires again?!

Attachments

• 14856449083732040704367.jpg
    14856449083732040704367.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 208
I would use refractory mortar and firebrick.

Yup sodbuster is right firebrick and refractory mortar. Keep the mortar joints under 1/8" for the best durability. I generally use about 1/16" joint.