What is radiant heat ? Xxv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ23

Feb 19, 2014
canada
Looking at xxv and p43. What do they mean when they say the xxv wont have as much radiant heat

Both stoves are primarily convection room heaters. Heating the room by forced warm air. The P43 can get hot to the touch so when you stand away from the forced air to the side you still feel heat radiating off the sides and top. The XXV will not radiate this additional heat from the top and sides like the P series. The XXV relies on convection forced air out the vents in the front. The XXV is just warm to the touch primarily not hot like the P series can get on the top and sides. Both series crank heat out the front just fine. Radiant heat feels warmer as it radiates or migrates to objects. Convection relies on heating the air first which then has to heat you just like a forced air furnace.

Do you think you are missing out anything by having the xxv vs the p43. I know with the p43 for example our tv gets so hot on one side. I just wondering if by going without the heat from the top and sides if you are missing out on anything? Sorry if I am asking too many q's, just curious if there's any downfall

Do you think you are missing out anything by having the xxv vs the p43. I know with the p43 for example our tv gets so hot on one side. I just wondering if by going without the heat from the top and sides if you are missing out on anything? Sorry if I am asking too many q's, just curious if there's any downfall

No, not really. XXV has more mass (cast iron) to act as a heat absorber, which will be given off slowly, giving a "kinder, gentler" type of heat. There is a space between the stove box and the cast sides on the XXV, this creates a natural convection of the heat, being drawn up from the bottom of the stove an out the vents just below the stove top. P43, being all steel, will transfer the given heat more quickly thus the radiant feel. Both lose heat (which is what you want) they just do it differently.

one reason I went with the cast xxv (other than it's outstanding antique looking pretty appearance it exudes) is because I mistakenly thought it would be like a cast wood fired stove - NOT! - not even close

You can shut down a cast wood stove and it puts out heat hours longer than a comparable steel stove. I found this has no bearing whatsoever on my pellet stove because when I shut down my XXV the exhaust blower keeps running and puts all the heat the cast iron stove has stored up out the exhaust pipe pronto until the stove is cold, one of the drawbacks to a pellet stove I reckon. Big waste of energy and heat that should'a stayed in the house. Not a good design, you think they could come up with something designed a little smarter for the money we pay for these things.

My old antique Avalon steel pellet stove is much more efficient than my new cast Harman XXV, maybe the immediate radiant heat it gives off because it is steel and not cast helps it be more efficient by not sending half the heat out the pipe but rather some of it into the room via the hot radiant heat it gives off.

just my observations so far, I'm still a noob in the pellet world still learning and open for being corrected or taught

Status
Not open for further replies.