What is seasoned firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

botbotfling

Hearth Supporter
Oct 10, 2007
I have seen the mention of using the right type of wood in an insert. How do I prepare wood for burning? What is the danger of using inappropriate wood? How do I know whether or not the wood I want to burn is okay for the insert?

Thanks for the help.

take a look at this article in the WIKI should give you some insight

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/How_to_tell_if_your_wood_is_seasoned/

i for one believe that wood cut green (alive) should stand split and stacked for at least a year before burning, dead standing wood doesnt need to "season" felled deadwood should be solid and not have rotted "squishy" feel to it. the wiki article above will explain in much greater detail hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.