What is the best insert for a small Prefabricated Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kharibreed

Nov 25, 2006
Hello All

I have a fairly new 2300 sf. Home in the Atlanta GA suburbs. It sits on a slab and I'm sure y'all know the usual story; my top floor stays warm while my bottom floor is uncomfortable in the winter time. I have two separate furnaces for each floor but all of the registers are in the ceilings (9ft) and I want to save some money on heating costs. My family room has a majestic BR36 wood burning fireplace built in. The good thing is it is centrally located. The bad is that it feels cold in the winter even when a log is in the thing so I see that as a big waste of energy. I really want to convert it to a viable heat source since most of the time is spent in the family room. The fireplace is already piped for natural gas.

I have decided to purchase a fireplace insert in either NG or Wood burning but I cannot figure out which fuel to use or who makes a stove that will fit in that fireplace.
Went to a local chimney/fire place guy and he gave me a price quote on a Buck M18 (wood burning) and a Fireplace Extraordinaire 32 DVS (NG). Are these products any good? Both options are $2600 and $2900 installed respectivelly. He is also stating that I need to reline my chimney although the house was built only 6 years ago. Is this legit or can I go without the chimney reline? I went on ebay and found a Martin 380IDVNV but I don't know anything about the product and I'm not sure if it will even fit. I haven't seen anything about Martin products on the forum here and I wonder what you folks think of them. Also looking at a winterwarm small insert.

Thanks for any help!

I would not buy a insert online.
Nat gas inserts are nice, and easy to control. IF you have to buy wood, they can be cheaper to operate.
If i had to choose between buck and FPX i would buy FPX, there well known in this industry as being top of the line.
You will need the reline. For wood it makes it easier to clean, and performs better. For gas its not a option, but a gas reline is much less expensive.

Thanks MSG. I was leaning towards the NG option. What are your reservations about online purchasing?

Support, service, warrenty, parts, if it were wood, it wound not be so bad, gas can have issues, and its good to have a local person to call.

Status
Not open for further replies.