What is the best way to re-seal an VC Intrepid II wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

babolu333

Nov 6, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Hey all, I originally posted here regarding an VC Intrepid II that I inherited. I cleaned and rebuilt the woodstove and fired it up. I noticed when I closed the dampener, smoke came out of the top of the stove. @begreen and @bholler were nice enough to look at the post and, with subsequent images, recommend a rebuild. I took the whole stove apart and I believe I need to reseal. It looks like the OM or a rebuilding enthusiast, used cement caulk to seal the stove. I am looking for some guidance or best practices on how to do reseal this stove? I ordered two tubes of the Rutland cement caulk. Thanks for the help!

IMG_1550.JPG IMG_1552.JPG IMG_1553.JPG

All the mating channels have to be completely cleaned of the old cement. Then they get a generous bead of the new cement. Wipe off ooze on the exterior with a damp rag.

@defiant3 may have some additional tips.

Reactions: babolu333
Hey guys, I took the stove apart and resealed it. I caulked the crap out of the sides with the Portland stove cement. However, when I fired it to test it, I still got smoke leaking out of the the top panel. I let it get to 500, turn down the thermostat and close the dampener to go through the catalytic converter.

Could it be that my test fire, the chimney is not long enough?

69067185304__5325DBAE-3990-44D1-9867-CB8010F46058.JPG A9C95D9E-EB82-49EA-B659-E6E59DF6BFC0.jpg IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1590.JPG

Could be. The stove needs at least 16' of flue to draft properly.

Reactions: babolu333