What is the difference between Hardwood and Softwood Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
I am in my 2nd year burning with my harman accentra insert. I have burned Lignetics (hardwood), Hamer (hardwood), and Press-to-logs(?). So far the Lignetics burned the best, in that they didn't leave that hard glass like buildup in the burnpot. they were in the middle as far as ash. The Hamers do burn much hotter, and they have much less ash, but I do have to scrape the burnpot twice a day to get that hard stuff off. The Press to Logs were garbage. Way to mush ash, and very little heat.

Would a softwood pellet work for me? which ones are available in southeast Pa?

forya said:
I am in my 2nd year burning with my harman accentra insert. I have burned Lignetics (hardwood), Hamer (hardwood), and Press-to-logs(?). So far the Lignetics burned the best, in that they didn't leave that hard glass like buildup in the burnpot. they were in the middle as far as ash. The Hamers do burn much hotter, and they have much less ash, but I do have to scrape the burnpot twice a day to get that hard stuff off. The Press to Logs were garbage. Way to mush ash, and very little heat.

Would a softwood pellet work for me? which ones are available in southeast Pa?

Every stove is different. Only way to know is to try it. In your area, you might be able to find Potomac's, which are softwood. From what I am understanding, most Lignetics people have been getting for about the last year to 9 months have been a blend (mix of hardwood and conifer). I have my first bag of Lignetics in now and they are the blend (bag with green lettering; it says right on the bag "hardwood and conifer").

See if you can find some Potomac's near you. Vermont wood pellets are also a new softwood brand. Don't know if they get down as far as SE PA though.

forya,

We burned wood for many years, so whenm we got the pellet stove, I HAD to have hardwood pellets ( Lignetics and others).

After reading many threads on this site, I decided to try softwood.

What I have found is a good softwood pellet leaves the glass cleaner and I get a gray, easy to clean, ash instead of the hard brown buildup. The inside of the stove stays cleaner also.

Now using LG Granules and Okanagans.

I would strongly suggest trying a few bags of different softwood brands.

Let us know.

Ranger

IMHO if your comparing the best of either, You really will not see any "BIG" difference. The best softwoods and hardwoods are very close. There may be subtle things but the heat and ash amount will be very close. Softwoods are noted for the cleanest of burns overall, But there are some hardwoods that can compare to them. Stick with the top shelf stuff and you get the cleanest hottest pellets on the market. You will see bigger differences with the lesser brands compared to the top shelf stuff. Some are actually shocking too! But like anything that's good in life they are most likely going for more money. So as we say "you get what you pay for".

I don't see or feel much of a difference in hardwood/softwood with the middle of the road pellets.

The super premium softwoods burn the hottest and cleanest in my stoves, but a buddy of mine burns
top end hardwood pellets exclusively and says the same thing about hardwoods.... ;-)

Mileage varies...if possible try em out before buying in bulk.

It seems all of you New Englanders burn Okies, they are not available here yet, and I have had a tough time finding Potomac's, anyone else know of any Good softwoods in the Lower Delaware Valley?

Most of our softwoods come from out west and up north. Your pretty much in the heart of hardwoods land. There are some nice hardwood pellet mills in PA. Check the links and see if they have retailers near you.

Allegeny

Barefoot

Another pellet the Lowes may carry down your way is Eco Flame. They did pretty well, But the 2 hardwoods I listed faired a bit better. You might also be able to find the Curran softwoods?

Status
Not open for further replies.