What is the longest you have gotten out of a cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
I'm in my 5th year burning 24/7 with my Buck. I bought it off of Craigslist out of a foreclosed house so I have no idea of its history. Still fires right off at 400-500* and with the right wood and air control runs to 1500-1800 with no problem. I know there are threads on how long they should last but just curious about anyone's real life experiences and how many years before it crapped out.

Seems the average is 4-7 years depending on amount of use and conditions. Though some cats have a 10 year warranty(BK i think) so these cats may be larger and thus have more surface area and therefor more service life potential. A good trick to revitalize a cat if it has any life left on it is a 50/50 vinegar and water cleaning/bath. Clean the cat out good with a vacuum etc, then use a spray bottle to thoroughly soak it with the vinegar solution, then rinse with distilled water. use distilled water in the spray bottle too by the way. You should see a noticeable improvement after you let it dry out completely and then reinstall. Do this when the cat is cool obviously. Soaking a hot cat might not be a good idea...

Same deal here with the 91; Got it used, so not sure the history of the cat that came with it. Could be the original (4-5 years,) I don't know. Seemed like it lit slow but I didn't realize at the time that it takes a while to get that big stove up to temp. That original cat is probably OK for a while yet, but I put a new one in shortly after I got the stove. The steelie in the Fireview I sold is into its 4th season, still working OK. The cat stove I've had the longest, the Dutchwest, used to go through 'em in a few years, probably due to me burning wet wood through them. But I expect any cat will start to drop off in performance after several years of 24/7 use, so I will probably replace it if I notice that it's harder to light or drops out sooner...

Only about 8 lives. Never quite could get that bragged about 9th.... They don't always land on their feet either.....

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.