What is the normal temperature of this area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodBurner777

Nov 28, 2021
Pittsburgh pa
2C7568FC-B7E5-4AC3-AB3E-D35442938261.png

This area above the fire box gets pretty hot to the touch after an hour of burning . Is this normal ? I understand obviously heat is radiating out of there below and moving up but how hot is “ normal “ and to be expected. Is this common with the granite rock sucking up and holding heat compared to stone/brick faced

can you you touch it for 1 second? I’d get an IR thermometer if it really concerning you. The stone would not concern me but the rest temp of any combustibles around the stone is what I would be checking out.

can you you touch it for 1 second? I’d get an IR thermometer if it really concerning you. The stone would not concern me but the rest temp of any combustibles around the stone is what I would be checking out.
Half way up the stone is cool just the lower half gets hot , none of the white painted wood gets warm at all

Half way up the stone is cool just the lower half gets hot , none of the white painted wood gets warm at all.
It's bound to get quite warm depending on how long the fire has been burning. This should be all masonry and safe.