What is this sound?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gregwood

Oct 17, 2018
Connecticut
Posted a short video.
Sounds like a incoming helicopter.
Sometimes it will get so loud my dog will bark upstairs. Only way I can stop is to crack open door or dampen down the plate in flue pipe? Eventually will go away. Almost always does it on first fire up with lots of dry kindling and paper.

Stove is "whoofing." You have wood that is hot and outgassing, but there isn't enough oxygen entering the stove to burn it smoothly. As a result, it builds up fuel gasses, then gets enough oxygen and woof, then not enough air, wood has enough heat for wood gasses to build, finally gets air, and woof again.

Best way I can explain what I am hearing anyway.

you should start cutting back your air sooner or add a touch more air when you set it for overnight. hopefully you are not burning to low. you'll have creosote buildup

you should start cutting back your air sooner or add a touch more air when you set it for overnight. hopefully you are not burning to low. you'll have creosote buildup

Overnight burn isnt the problem. It only happens on first fire every day. Or alot of small pieces. After that it's pretty good.

small pieces will gas off a lot at once prob to much for the air coming in. it's happened to me in my early years with too many small pieces of cut off oak floor from a new job install when i went to open the door the fire came out at me.