what is this stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billz

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2008
Fountain Inn SC
I was told it was water oak. I never tried to split something this hard before I hit the wedge five times and the next hit the log spits the wedge out. I finally got it but man this is nuts.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 219
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20140411_191439.jpg
    IMG_20140411_191439.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 220
Not sure what that is but by the looks of that second picture, it splits well. No doubt after that first split, the rest should split easier. I never figure they are hard splitting until I get 2 wedges stuck with the log not yet split apart. :mad:

I know Norway maple is very hard to split, it could be that, not sure......
What I am sure of is that I think your wedge technique is not correct. You have that wedge in the center of the round...
Try placing it closer to the bark, preferably in a visible Ariel crack, hammer it in a bit, then use the 8 # maul to bust it open.... I know my Norway maple took 2 wedges at times....also a trick that I use is to make a 1/2 inch line with a chainsaw to start off the wedge in the wood so it doesn't spit out on you..... But remember, get the wedges closer to the ends rather than the center.....have fun pounding......

Reactions: nrford
It mite laugh at wedges, mauls and even the x27.....but it will never laugh at a chainsaw...lol

Looks like a maple to me! blurry pictures.......

have fun pounding......
This is an oxymoron........

I don't mind splitting with an axe or a maul, but hammering wedges is just hard on you.........

but it will never laugh at a chainsaw
I dislike hammering wedges so much that I have considered trying to make a ripping chain just for my own redneck log splitter (like this guys)

For when I run into stuff that just won't be split any other way.

Some guy on here last year had some Water oak he showed that he cut. I thought it might be a local vernacular for like swamp white oak but it is actually a species of oak.
Obviously a swamp type oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.