What is to cover the cover that covers the ignitor/burn pot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bloodysod69

Mar 26, 2014
Hayes Middlesex
Female members of this house, watching me turn into a soot covered "coal revivalist" on the floor have mentioned the title, suggesting "safe stoves", i.e calling the &$@# service rep.
I have had the Harmon Insert 2 Accentra at least 2 years. Each time a tech comes, for better or crook, they replace the ignitor, telling me it wasn't seated right. Well, when I go to clean out the under pot area, that thing is as ringy as a S.F trolley....and what's worse, the metal cover with a 1/2 in slit falls out...I have yet to be able to make it stick in a horzontal, aka correct position. I even went over to the store and asked them on their demo, and they both didn't know/care! I despise this Harmon only service, but that's another story, except if they ever put a link on how to clean/replace that little cover inside the cover, i.e ignitor inside, I have yet to see it.
Harmon has one simple dvd 5" on how to clean out, but they never make mention of this piece. I don't even rely on that ignitor as I think it's a a hoax-until they come out with a SELF-CLEANING STOVE, I lose every time I go near it.
What I was doing to date was having that little plate thing kind of shtupped into the place its supposed to go via 1) keeping a finger on that horizontal hole and push-hold it on the firepot exterior which has the matching male shtupper-if u don't know Yiddish, neither do I but I swear in any language at length I don't really know step 2.....but with about 10-15 mins hard labor, I can usually make the plate stay in one place long enough to make that guillotine-like fold over piece on a 360 mount on the plate connect up to some part of that firepot exterior lip.
Boy, if you think that was ugly, you should see the way this ends up looking...it is slanted sliglhtly sideways, where about half the metal rings/slits of the ignitor fins are exposed, the other probably not too much. I have a lot of #6 shutdowns these days...but I can't figure how to keep this plate in place in a straight line....when I DON'T clip it with that rotating clasp thing, it ends up working fine on restart, but even closing the door causes it to fall out inside the burn pot clean out chamber...and that's the end of proper operation.
If anyone could find anything...pics, diagrams, cave drawings, it would be really helpful...disregard if it's spring by the time anyone can find such things. This is undoubtedly the most confounding little mechanical think I have ever found, but I am really stubborn about giving the ol' service Harmon man about $250 just to show up, clean/criticize my lack of talent! Take care-John, Natick MA

Sounds like you are not putting the igniter cradle together properly.When igniter is installed in cradle,the thin piece slides over 2 tabs,which are then slightly bent,and nothing should come apart,unless yours is bent/twisted/damaged.You can remove the 2 cradle screws and have it hanging out the cleanout hole in 30 seconds.Here are some links,picturs and a video link.http://rockymountainstove.com/harmanignitorcradlecage.aspx http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/communications/Igniter_Replacement_HAR.pdf http://pellethead.com/2015/01/harman-igniter-replacement/

Reactions: Ssyko
I have two Harman stoves (which I service monthly), have installed over 20, & have serviced probably 50 others...
I was trained at the Harman factory in Pa BEFORE Hearth n Home bought out Dale
Harman & I have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about.
Can you post some pix of what your issue is?

This is a new cradle that Harman changed to on the insert. I have seen one and they are a complete pain!! I spent 1/2 he screwing with it and customer called back and said igniter fell out. Old cradle worked fine, why change it. It has a little thing you swing away to remove igniter. If you bump it igniter falls then you have to get everything lined up and put back in. I think the new type cradle is welded in also

Reactions: Mt Bob
This is a new cradle that Harman changed to on the insert. I have seen one and they are a complete pain!! I spent 1/2 he screwing with it and customer called back and said igniter fell out. Old cradle worked fine, why change it. It has a little thing you swing away to remove igniter. If you bump it igniter falls then you have to get everything lined up and put back in. I think the new type cradle is welded in also
WINNER! He must have a 52I,and has had the recall done,which is the "clip in" ignitor.Looks like his is not the only one that falls out,either.I do not know what the recall was for,is terrible Harman guards it's information so bad.I know if it was mine I would pull burn pot,cut out the clip in,and drill holes,to use old style cradle.

Here is picture of the clip in .jpg

Is the clip in cradle still in production? Or did they go back to the old style?

OK talked to Harman Tech,burn pot upgrade was because of slow ignition times.And,he likes the new clip in ignitor,says it is easy,but is best to lay on your back and look up at it.But,as I have never done one,do not know.

OK talked to Harman Tech,burn pot upgrade was because of slow ignition times.And,he likes the new clip in ignitor,says it is easy,but is best to lay on your back and look up at it.But,as I have never done one,do not know.
got in late on this but,
is this a new cradle for insert and free standing harmans?
heck!. just the hang of it after changing 2 of them..!!!

The one I messed with had the gate/latch to loose and no way to make it have more tension. If you tried to clean inside the igniter area, The gate would easily get dislodged and the igniter would fall out.

This clip in sounds like a strap on at the Charlie Foxtrot. Glad to hear it's only in one stove but that sucks for the 52i crowd. What do the clips mount to?

Looking at Bob's posted pic my igniter setups look quite a bit different. Position wise etc; Mine look like the are down some more centered under the pot. This clip in deal looks like it is up towards the front lip.

The one I messed with had the gate/latch to loose and no way to make it have more tension. If you tried to clean inside the igniter area, The gate would easily get dislodged and the igniter would fall out.
I reported that to Harman,that the latch gets loose,we shall see!