What is "trim" and what is "wall"???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
I'm still trying to figure out my stove situation and have pretty much decided on the Jotul F3CB. I have a question. To keep from tainting the jury pool I'm keeping my thoughts to myself for now regarding this...

Looking at the image below you will see two cabinets on either side of the firebox. The white areas are a type of masonry/mortar board. Note the overhang of the wood top. The white areas protrude out 4 1/2 inches.

Would the white areas that face toward the firebox be considered "trim" or "wall"??? ...and, if you will go just a little further, what is the basis for your choice???

Thanks for the feedback,
Ed

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153/intheswamp00/FB2Small.jpg

Wood Heat Stoves said:
your dealer should be helping you with this.....

There is no dealer yet that I would consider mine. I haven't committed to one. :)

But...it is a dealer's statement/suggestion that has prompted me to pose this question.

BTW, that Shelburn and Castlebury are some nice lookin' stoves.

Ed

Not sure why the dealer's posing the question like that. Wall, trim...doesn't matter. What matters is whether or not it's a combustible material, period. Stoves & inserts have specified minimum clearances from the nearest combustible materials. Doesn't really matter if it's a wall or a piece of trim or a mantel or a chair or a stack of firewood. Rick

i would say you need to keep to their "side wall" clearance as listed for rear vent applications, but how it (the manual) is interpreted relies soley upon your building inspector/
i keep the county inspectors cell numbers handy for these type of questions- could be viewed either way imo

fossil said:
Not sure why the dealer's posing the question like that. Wall, trim...doesn't matter. What matters is whether or not it's a combustible material, period. Stoves & inserts have specified minimum clearances from the nearest combustible materials. Doesn't really matter if it's a wall or a piece of trim or a mantel or a chair or a stack of firewood. Rick

typically i'd agree w/you, but
in this case see page 12 of the manual, jotul does differentiate
13" to trim, 24" to wall

Wood Heat Stoves said:
fossil said:

typically i'd agree w/you, but
in this case see page 12 of the manual, jotul does differentiate
13" to trim, 24" to wall

Well, Dave, that's interesting. I stand both corrected and perplexed. Only thing I could think to do is call Jotul for clarification, then run the situation and Jotul's response past the local AHJ. Shouldn't be too tough to get a resolution here, I'd hope. Rick

Rick,
i could see where a wall coming out more than a few inches could get hotter than trim that might only stick out from the facia an inch or so.
question is, how far must the trim protrude to be considered a wall?

wiki definition of trim?lol

too much time on my hands at the moment, researching customer clearance issues for Fun :wacko:

As a stinkin’, wet-behind-the-ears, rank newbie of a woodburner I’m relying on advice and information to safely install and safely use my wood burning stove and chimney. But, just like when we go to a doctor, we have to be proactive and question him about things. Doctors make mistakes, too. If something doesn’t sound right, or something confuses us we should fire (no pun intended) those questions off…

The original question in the first message was posed due to an assertion by a seller that a particular insert (not an F3CB stove) would fit within my clearances. I was assured that the 4 1/2” cabinet wall protrusions would be considered TRIM and that there would be no need of heat shields. The seller further explained to me that…

“A WALL is defined as spanning between two corners of the room; your 4-1/2” protrusions are considered TRIM,...”

This contradicted what I had begun to grasp from reading several stove manuals…primarily that trim was noted (in most instances) as being 1” or less in thickness. The “spanning between two corners” part simply confused me. After mulling it over and discussing it with another individual I came to the conclusion that I would err on the side of caution and proceed with planning on using the heat shields. But, this didn’t answer the question of what in this reduced area would constitute a “wall” and what would constitute “trim”....thus the question that I posted here. I guess to an extent I’m guilty of trying to “split hairs”.

After seeing the discussion going on here the seller PM’d me reversing his recommendation and stating that I do need heat shields. Like many of us do, he made an error. This error, though, could have affected, among others, my grandbabies...

Personally, from my very uneducated view…if the stove manual states that trim is 1” or 1/2” or whatever…anything thicker than that should be considered “wall” in respect to clearances. Just seems to make sense to me. But what do I know, I’m just a rank newb trying to be safe.

Ed

<<Would the white areas that face toward the firebox be considered “trim” or “wall”???>>

Steve Jobs come up with that design ?

Nobody around here is going to fault anyone for erring on the side of caution when in doubt. As you so clearly understand, we're talking about the personal safety of ourselves and our loved ones. Not really the kind of hairs one ought be splitting, IMO. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.