What is your non stove thermostat set to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiver

Jan 28, 2011
Western Ma
I am trying to find a sweet spot to set my non-stove thermostat and just curious to what others set theirs to

50. Boiler never kicks in.

I keep the solar panel thermostat @80, the pellet stove @69 and the hot water system @65. We also have electric heat upstairs in the kids rooms that I set @62 only as a last resort.

The only time the hot water system comes on is if we run out of pellets. The electric upstairs only comes on when we're below -5 or so.

Works well for us.

Hello

Both my FHW Oil Fired Baseboard heater Thermostats are set to OFF. I do not use 1 drop for heat anymore, just 200 gallons per Year for the DHW !!

Furnace is off as I have a blocking plate right now. I have a pellet furnace and have to stop the back flow. I have a manual baffle at the moment. The thing is, if the heat goes off, it will take over a day to cause pipes to freeze at low temps.

If I go away for more than two days, I flip back to furnace.

I have mine set for as low as they will go, which I believe is 50.. If we leave the house for 24 hours, then we run the electric heat here at 65.

I set it at 65F, However, when my wife spots it, she'll turn it to 72 or more, I have to keep setting it back and keep the stove well fed. So far so good. Very little to almost no use of the furnace. :-S

It is set at 60°F for both of the first floor zones and 45°F for the garage. The garage usually stays around 50 all winter, DHW uses most of the 173 gallons of oil I buy each year. Stove is manually fired, perhaps I might put a stat on it this season.

Mine is usually set at 65, but we will occasionally turn it up to quickly heat the whole house up, then let the pellet stove maintain from there.

A few of my electric heat stats are set to 55. They haven't come on in over 11 seasons! I'd be really poor if they did! :sick:

I set our heat pump at 68 - 69.

i have 4 zones....
3 set to 50
1 programmable stat set to 62 then goes to 65 when home..
pellet stove set to 68..
boiler never starts for heat, just maintain boiler temp and when hot water needed...

2 of the 3 zones in the house are set at 60 the pumps never come on. The third zone is farthest
away from the stove and almost impossible to get the heat to from the stove and just happens to
be the kids bedrooms so it is set at 68.

72F... I have a 93 year old MIL living with us....

krooser said:
72F... I have a 93 year old MIL living with us....
Good for you krooser. We had my 84 year old MIL with us for several months last winter while she was re-cooperating from an accident and hospital stay. I set the thermostat up like you so that if I didn't keep the temp up with the stove, she wouldn't be cold. However, she liked the wood heat and stayed close to it most of the time, and reminded me often if the fire was dying down ;-P

Same as Flynfrfun, 65 degrees, but we will occasionally turn it up to help heat the whole house up, then let the pellet stove maintain from there. Espec. on the weekend or when it's 20 or more below zero.

Same as people above....65. Just in case the pellet stove shuts off.

For those of you who have wives that keep cranking it up...
Just disconnect the thermostat wire :]
Provided it's the old school kind of thermostat... I doubt it works well with digitals.
That way she thinks she's turning up the heat, so she'll think she's warmer... when it's really doing absolutely nothing :)
Just don't ever let her find out.

For the answer to stay on topic...
I no longer have a thermostat, so I can't answer :)

63*.

I disco'd the zone to the room I rent. Came home one day and heat was set to 85* and both windows where wide open. Want to play that game? Well then you can freeze!

It's digital, set to 63F at night, 68F in the day, 70F in the evening. If it's cold and I don't light a fire, the heat pump does.

Status
Not open for further replies.