What I've learned..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
. hanging out here. Hey everyone, don't know if this is the best place for this thread as it covers a bit about gear and the stove but no politics. Back in Feb. of last year I got a place with, to my overwhlming delight had a woodstove. I started out burning it like a fireplace, needless to say that didn't go very far. I then got ahold of a labeled thermometer for the box from the local woodstove store. I kept around the labeled 'safe' 250*, still didn't do very well for heat. One night even I was unaware at 250* and thought that this is too good- then checked the box and freaked out that it was too hot and promptly grabbed the wood out of the box and dropped into the snow outside and let the box cool down.
I've since learned/ found that the optimal safe temp is between 550*- 650* for me and that this is not at all dangerous. Also learned to try thicker splits for longer burns, such as over niters- for lack of access to harwood(read too cheap), as I always thought to split smaller to completely burn the wood.
I've also learned about the appropriate chain for the job; as I cut mainly dead standing pine and cedar your run of the mill safety chain dulls all too quickly. I arrived at the correct Oregon chain for my needs semi chisel so that it won't take out the bar. Also learned to properly sharpen a chain, with a bastard file; specifically not a rat tailed file at as the rat tail is tapered and not ideal for maintaining uniform angles. And ultimately that a chain can be salvaged with an appropriate bench monted grinder when hand filing no longer suffices.
Finaly, though I'm sure the learning doesn't stop here, I've learned the importance of properly clening the chimney/ stove pipe for safety and efficiency's sake. Thanks to everyone who has helped me along my learning travels, hey- I love the political banter too down in the Ash Can..........

"hearth.com
a place to learn,
a place to grow,
a place to share...."

dang we sound like a pre-school.

yea man, i owe a lot to this place too.... and the awesome people who hang out here.

"hearth.com.... it aint just wood you know... it's knowing your wood."

Woodman: If it weren`t for this forum I never would have bought my new insert. And again, thanks to the members on this forum I am learning how to burn it properly. And how to season my wood so I can get the maximum heat out of my investment. And most important of all, how to utilize this new appliance with confidence and saftey first in mind.

And I say this even though admitting that I have been burning wood for the past 30 years. And also admitting that there is always something new to learn, and thanks to this forum , many,many helpful minds to learn from.

Oh, and when I get a little bored, well, I just go on the ash can and try and get guys like you all fired-up and mad at me ;-P Actually I`m thinking seriously of changing my middle name from_&^%$ to Stir. Because I really get a kick out of stirring on that good old ash can :p

Yeap- burning properly, that's the whole gig. Always learning and dig hangin' out here..........

moondoggy said:
"hearth.com
a place to learn,
a place to grow,
a place to share...."

dang we sound like a pre-school."

More like Romper Room, eh...........

“hearth.com
a place to learn,
a place to grow,
a place to share... for those who burn.

Now it's complete

i dunno zam...makes us sound like we've all got the clap or somethin....

LOL. I've also learned and now appreciated the difference between and EPA stove with air controls and you generic pot belly stove from the 1800's. Wood burning has come a long way.............

WoodMann said:
LOL. I've also learned and now appreciated the difference between and EPA stove with air controls and you generic pot belly stove from the 1800's. Wood burning has come a long way.............

Very funny story Woodmann....you panic and throw burning wood into snow...Thank you for sharing moment of uncertainty...We all learn...sometime not as hard as you do. But you have learned better, so you are better wood burner... Takes time to figure out stove , wood, house, etc....
Regards Joey Chang

WoodMann said:

It sure has.i'm glad i found this place and i am starting now then way back when.

Yeah, I truely did freak, Joey. My big concern was, and is- that I'm playing with fire and nothing can be overlooked. But as I learn more I can burn more ideally and effectively..........

Mark I think you did exactly right with the knowledge that you had at the time..... Kudos to you for your brave attempt to avert disaster...I hope you didn't get burned in this escapade you have explained. I have done many worse incidents of stupid stuff . Not with a wood stove but with other dangerous items. But I chose to keep them to myself for the time being....My message is don't feel bad as you reacted in a quest and search for knowledge and seem to have a good grasp of it now.... Your confession, if that is what it can be called; is a brave remark....Perhaps some lesser experienced wood burner will read your post and not have to go through what you did to get to where you are now...I admire your courage in sharing with us.
Most Sincerely Joey Chang

Didn't get burned- I had a poker and shovel at hand and an exit door was close at hand. Looking back it is kinda funny and, yeah- a learning experience. It's a wonderful adventure the way I look at it, all the while lifting the middle finger to the gas company....................

And properly sharpening the chain. This lesson was not to file the rakers down too far as it not only exerts extra stress on everything else it bogs the saw down and lenthens the time for cuts, and everything wears faster, too. It truely is an art how everything works together for optimum cutting, feel as if I just had an epiphany...............

Status
Not open for further replies.