What kind of maple is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slimdusty

Aug 22, 2023
Washington State
Anyone tell me what this is? I don’t believe it is native to this area and I’m not familiar with it. It’s in a city park and slated for removal.
IMG_1873.jpeg
IMG_1874.jpeg

If i had to say it'd be red based on size, bark for tree of that size and red maples are pretty commonly planted tree in most places due to ease of transplanting

Its not maple.. the bark of maple is different.. the leaves shown aren't in any of the maple family
I think what is shown is not leaves but the seed pods of a red maple
I may be wrong because many maples have that type of helicopter seed pod

I have lots of red maple here on my land and I don't think that's the same species. Not sure what it is.

Red maples have red/reddish leaves correct? When leafed out this tree will have green leaves that to me look like maple leaves. My second pic was showing the helicopter seed pods which made me believe maple. The bark throws me off from any other maples that I am familiar with. It is rather scaly compared to regular maple trees I see.

Red maples have red/reddish leaves correct? When leafed out this tree will have green leaves that to me look like maple leaves. My second pic was showing the helicopter seed pods which made me believe maple. The bark throws me off from any other maples that I am familiar with. It is rather scaly compared to regular maple trees I see.
No they have normal green ones with 3 lobes on them if u look at em there leaf is usually a bit smaller than that of a sugar,black or silver and lastly ive noticed a varient or 2 of maples with a burgundy red color i think it was a variant of sugar or black but none yhe less your average run of the mill red maple is gonna have green colored and if the tree u saw jad red maple leavs it is more than likely a variant of red or sugar or possibly black the difference i found between 3 is in size and number of lobes on leaf sugar variant is should have a big fat leaf with 5 lobes a red variant is 3 lobes with smaller sized leaf and black from what ive noticed is a big leaf with 3 lobes about the same size as as sugars

Last edited:
Reactions: Slimdusty
The ones with red leaves are Acer platanoides, Norway maple. A popular red variety is “Crimson King”.

Its not maple.. the bark of maple is different.. the leaves shown aren't in any of the maple family.. below is a picture of red maple bark and leaves

the leaves in your picture look more oval and the barks different

View attachment 324970

View attachment 324971

Pretty sure those are the seed pods and look very maple to me.

One way to confirm a maple is to look at the branching. Maples are opposite. Maple/ash are opposite and most other dominant species are alternate.

1000001607.jpg

My guess is what we call a Manitoba maple...as stated also above its a type of alder. A quick Google search for Manitoba maple shows some pics. As far as firewood, it would be near the bottom of the choice list.

Reactions: Prometeo and johneh
My guess is what we call a Manitoba maple...as stated also above its a type of alder. A quick Google search for Manitoba maple shows some pics. As far as firewood, it would be near the bottom of the choice list.
Interesting, thanks. Never heard of manitoba maple, I’ll look it up, and yes, I initially was asking so I could decide if it was firewood worthy or not. Sounds like more of a not, I have enough low btu stuff already!

I thought it was the leaves, the first photo instead they are the seeds, with the wing definitely a maple, not Alnus/Alder family.

No that's definitely not a sugar maple. I make maple syrup and stare at sugars and reds all spring. They don't have that many ridges or visible veins in the leaves. Also they aren't native to the Pacific Northwest.

Did some research and given your location I'm almost positive that's a Douglas Maple. It's native to your area and the leaves match:

Reactions: Duds13
No that's definitely not a sugar maple. I make maple syrup and stare at sugars and reds all spring. They don't have that many ridges or visible veins in the leaves. Also they aren't native to the Pacific Northwest.

Did some research and given your location I'm almost positive that's a Douglas Maple. It's native to your area and the leaves match:

Hey Caw! I make maple syrup as well! Old school buckets hanging from the taps. Do 100 taps and make an average of about 20 gallons a season (depending on mother nature). Last year was crazy, made 35 gallons. Not sure what this season will bring. Just tapped last weekend, only collected 40 gallons of sap last night so far.

Hey Caw! I make maple syrup as well! Old school buckets hanging from the taps. Do 100 taps and make an average of about 20 gallons a season (depending on mother nature). Last year was crazy, made 35 gallons. Not sure what this season will bring. Just tapped last weekend, only collected 40 gallons of sap last night so far.
Awesome! I am a smaller operation about 25 trees with plastic tubing into containers on the ground. I'm tapping reds so my ratio is worse than yours. I'll make between 2-5 gallons depending on nature. I tapped 3 weeks ago when we had a super early run and have made about 1 quart so far.

Sorry to hijack the thread lol. Feel free to DM me about maple syrup!

Initial thought was sycamore maple (Acer pseudoplatanus), but leaves look more like Rocky Mountain maple (Acer glabrum).

I'm not familiar with Rocky Mountain maple. Looking at description it's described as a small tree.
Pic in post #14 depicts large tree, plus the bark looks like Sycamore maple: VT Dendro sycamore maple

It does also look like sycamore maple. Looks like it has range in BC so Washington State isn't out of the question. I think it's safe to say it's either Douglas/Rocky Mountain or Sycamore Maple.

Areed. I grew up outside of Philly and sycamore (leaf) maple, an exotic, was an oddball maple that we'd occasionally see. Bark in post #14 looks like specimens I recalI. It has unique bark (spots of salmon) that differentiated it from other maple in area.