What kind of non-hardining caulking for roof install wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vmaxer

Nov 18, 2020
Antioch,ca
Is there a code/classification of caulking I should use for my install of chimney? Caulking comes with codes for their formulas.
Thank you in advance.

What kind of roof? what are you caulking?

My bad, asphalt shingles. caulking the collar other stuff.
For Caulking the storm collar to the class A pipe just use regular silicone, no high temp is needed, its also a good idea to run a light bead of it down the outside seam of the class a pipe, there has been occasional weeping experienced by some people.
As far as the angle plate that partially goes under the high side of the shingles then day lights on the bottom shingle, just a continuous bead for the top half and partial sides, then across, leaving the bottom 1/3 of the sheet metal untouched of the roofers asphalt caulk works, no need to get over crazy with application, water only goes down and you dont want to seal the bottom totally just incase water end up find a hole, it can drain out, again the top 2/3 's of this plate is under the courses of shingles, the bottom 1/3 transitions to daylight.

Thanks, hi temp not needed. Just long enough for the water not to enter the hole. how about chimney supports? I would think I should caulk that with black roofing stuff.

Reactions: kennyp2339