What kind of oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I know it's oak but what kind? I think it's in the white oak family but not sure.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Round lobes, I agree white oak.

Bark looks like white oak to me.

Anybody burn post oak? I've got a bunch of it around here. Lot of folks around here don't like it, say it doesn't burn well. Of course these people think oak seasons in 6 months. I've never burned it myself, only pin oak and red oak. I figure it would burn like white oak, since it's in the family

The leaves look like bur oak. The bark looks like white oak. Bur and white are about the same for heat value; white is less knotty and tends to have smoother bark and straighter easier to split. Bur oak always has some gnarly branching that I don't see here.

Bur or White - both look very similar. You really need to find an acorn to tell them apart. Bur will have a large, shaggy looking "cup" that encases 1/2 or more of the nut. White have more "normal" looking acorns, with a smoother cup only at the top of the nut. I'm guessing White if you're in Mississippi.

Not sure we have them here but I could be wrong!
You're not really in the range for Bur, and the leaf isn't Post. I'm guessing it's White, is the bark scaly plates further up? Like Shawn said, an acorn would ID it...

Post Oak has the leaves that look like a maltese cross. Your leaves look like Bur oak to me too. But there is also Swamp White oak.
Bur Oak and Post Oaks are on a fenceline here in NY on my property and they are probably 150-250 yeats old and Im not in the range either of those trees either.
Good luck with the acorns...lol.

It looks like the white oak that I just C/S/S.

You're not really in the range for Bur, and the leaf isn't Post. I'm guessing it's White, is the bark scaly plates further up? Like Shawn said, an acorn would ID it...

Yea gets more scaly as it goes up. I should've known those weren't post oak leaves. Guess I wasn't paying much attention. It's white oak for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.