What kind of pine is it ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave7965

Jan 9, 2010
Rhode Island
I was going to buy some cheap split pine but a friend of mine told me he had trouble burning a certain kind of pine that had red in the center and to stay away from it. He called it ponderosa pine but I dont know if that's the real name. I wish I had a picture but I don't. Does anybody know anything about this ?

I have seen some older black cherry that the bark kind of resembles pine. Someone who doesn't know any different might get it confused.

I dont know what kind of pine you have there but out here in Utah we have about 5 different species here. I think what your friend is talking about is what we call (red rot) the wood is solid but it does not burn near as hot as the wood that is good. I have cut some that is also soft that is called leveright (leave it right there) it will not burn. If your getting a really good deal on the wood that as red rot it will burn but not as good the choice is yours, personaly I would burn it as a last resort.

The Wood Dog said:
I was going to buy some cheap split pine but a friend of mine told me he had trouble burning a certain kind of pine that had red in the center and to stay away from it. He called it ponderosa pine but I dont know if that's the real name. I wish I had a picture but I don't. Does anybody know anything about this ?

I burn a little of just about every wood that comes my way . . . and I have yet to find any wood that doesn't burn well . . . once properly seasoned. Granted, some wood burns faster . . . some wood leaves less coals . . . but in general, if seasoned . . . and not punky or rotten . . . it will burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.