What kind of splitter do I need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I, too, have a PowR'Kraft 7-ton splitter. I haven't had a problem with it and it has split virtually everything I have tried to split (note that it is somewhat self-limiting, in that I can only split rounds that I can manage to heave up onto this horizontal splitter). I start in "fast" (4-ton) mode and move to "slow" (7-ton) if I notice any resistance from the round. I split mostly locust, maple, oak, and hickory. I have strapped mine to a hand truck also, since I need to wheel it across rocky terrain. I think the wheels on it would work fine on pavement, but that isn't always available.

The only other word of advice I'd give is to be sure you have a 20-amp breaker and use the shortest 10-gauge extension cord possible, in order to avoid a voltage drop, which will cause loss of power, overheating, and possible motor damage (which is true for any electrical appliance, if the extension cord isn't sturdy enough).

I highly recommend this splitter, for those who are considering an electric. It's quiet and there's no messing with gasoline, oil, filters, and exhaust fumes.

That is odd, before I got my gas splitter I just used a 3 ton electric unit and it took care of all my wood. Out of 5 or 6 cords there was maybe 3 or 4 big rounds I had to fight with a little bit to get split.

If mostly straight grained wood, electric should work fine.

I went 22 ton gas powered, the small electrics weren't quit strong enough for about 40% of my wood.
?

I've thought about getting an electric splitter myself for some smaller splitting jobs. I usually just borrow my dad's 20+ year old 22 ton Duerr splitter. He bought it used in the early 90's and I assume it has easily done close to 100 cords or more at this point.

Problem is the small electrics are very limited as to just how big and how gnarly they'll go. I think the best option for the maul swingers here is to have a splitter rental day once a year to rent a machine that will take care of everything it touches.

That's exactly what I've done. The second annual splitter rental day is soon approaching. That said, I'm always looking at other ways of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.