1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What kind of splitter do I need?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Sprinter, Aug 6, 2012.

1. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    I, too, have a PowR'Kraft 7-ton splitter. I haven't had a problem with it and it has split virtually everything I have tried to split (note that it is somewhat self-limiting, in that I can only split rounds that I can manage to heave up onto this horizontal splitter). I start in "fast" (4-ton) mode and move to "slow" (7-ton) if I notice any resistance from the round. I split mostly locust, maple, oak, and hickory. I have strapped mine to a hand truck also, since I need to wheel it across rocky terrain. I think the wheels on it would work fine on pavement, but that isn't always available.

The only other word of advice I'd give is to be sure you have a 20-amp breaker and use the shortest 10-gauge extension cord possible, in order to avoid a voltage drop, which will cause loss of power, overheating, and possible motor damage (which is true for any electrical appliance, if the extension cord isn't sturdy enough).

I highly recommend this splitter, for those who are considering an electric. It's quiet and there's no messing with gasoline, oil, filters, and exhaust fumes.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nate379

nate379 Guest

That is odd, before I got my gas splitter I just used a 3 ton electric unit and it took care of all my wood. Out of 5 or 6 cords there was maybe 3 or 4 big rounds I had to fight with a little bit to get split.

3. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    I've thought about getting an electric splitter myself for some smaller splitting jobs. I usually just borrow my dad's 20+ year old 22 ton Duerr splitter. He bought it used in the early 90's and I assume it has easily done close to 100 cords or more at this point.
  4. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    That's exactly what I've done. The second annual splitter rental day is soon approaching. That said, I'm always looking at other ways of doing it.