1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What kind of wood comes from an acorn tree?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Ram 1500 with an axe..., Apr 10, 2013.

1. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Acorn yields will vary year to year. I have read these variations are by design so that the animals can't develop a routine that consumes all the nuts. Some years almost none, some a glut. Glut years are seedling bearing as not all the nuts are consumed.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
  3. aansorge

aansorge Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Minnesota
    Heavy mast years will overwhelm the acorn eaters so that some will survive and produce trees.
  4. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    The squirrels at my house live good and did a great job of cleaning up good.
    I started this thread because I got acorns from this tree I got cut down recently, the estimator, called it a maple, then my friend said it wasn't oak when he saw the wood split. I was sure it was an oak but then questioned it with these two other views being out there.
    Now, to the idiot poster, that's not very nice, my understanding was this is a great place to live and learn about a common hobby, passion or addiction. I'm sorry your bitter, I understand and I'm sorry...
  5. aansorge

aansorge Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Minnesota
    What did I say? I was just talking about why some years have acorn years and others don't. Maybe I missed something...

Never mind I think you were talking to bluedogz.
  6. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Nothing buddy, you answered the question perfectly, thanks for doing so...
    The squirrels shouldn't get them all
  7. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    The squirrels are out to get me :eek: ;lol
    Oak tree hanging over deck ,grilling on the grill,dodging acorns the squirrels are dropping, hit me right on top of head with a cluster of acorns once,ouch
    raybonz likes this.
  8. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    What exactly do you mean by this? I see nothing wrong with this thread and some folks may have been raised in a city and simply not know what others considered inherent knowledge.

Ray
  9. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    Nothing at all.... there isn't a thing wrong either with this thread or anyone participating in it.
    For background, I've spent the last ten years in a "service" role taking calls from people who would ask questions like, "I just got a letter from your company. What does it say?" and "If I close my account, will there be any money left in it?" (seriously)
    I just have a peeve against telling (kids especially) that "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask" when what I would like them taught is "the only dumb question is the one you don't seek an answer to."
    That said, there ain't much better place to seek an answer about trees than here. (And us city boys had oak trees too!)
    Thus endeth my admittedly insignificant opinion.
    raybonz likes this.