What Kind of Wood is This?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
The tree came down some months back so there are no leaves around. Well I should say there are leaves of every kind of tree know in the mid-west around it. The peices showen in the pictures were cut and split a little over a month ago.

When I saw it in the whole, I didn't think black walnut. On my first cut the center went dark like black walnut, but again the bark is all wrong, I think, for black walnut. Its heavy, splits well, and it has a bit of an odd smell after being cut or split. It has lightened after being split and sitting a while. Butternut/white walnut?? or bitternut hickory??

Attachments

• DSC_0017 (600x381).jpg
    DSC_0017 (600x381).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_0018 (600x399).jpg
    DSC_0018 (600x399).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC_0014 (600x399).jpg
    DSC_0014 (600x399).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 342
Hard to tell from the pics but that could be Pignut bark. Any nuts on the ground?

My guess would be Hickory as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.