What material to cover wood pile with

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
For those of you that cover your wood pile what do you use? I am wondering if I can get some free salvage material. Right now I am using a mixture of scrap wood, metal roofing and tarps. Do bilboard companies give their old ones away? That would be an idea.

I have never covered before but may if I can get ahold of some rubber roofing.

If you do a search you will find many folks have had good luck with the rubber membrane roofing and some folks have also used the billboard material . . . other folks use the metal roofing . . . I did the tarps for my first year . . . worked OK . . . not sure if I would expect the tarps to hold up year after year . . .

I have used the tarps that cover the lumber delivered to the big box stores, lumber stores, etc. I even bought a grommet install kit and used milk containers attached by bungee type straps and filled with gravel to keep the tarps in place. I folded the tarps to a size just large enough to cover the wood pile it will cover with a bit of overhang...worked great this last winter. This year I plan to store the seasoned wood for the upcoming heating season in a wood shed and will do away with the tarp routine.

The best material for covering firewood is more firewood

A roof works well. My woodshed has a metal roof.

This is my tarp. Rick

Attachments

• tarp.jpg
    tarp.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,226
Rick I swear you kick that picture out every once in a while to make sure my jealous gene still works. Let's see a few more pics of that bad boy from different angles. Like enough to copy it! A copy of your woodshed should be mandatory for membership here!

Thats enough kindling for about 100 years for those that start more than 1 fire a year :eek:hh:

For those of us that start one fire a year . . . put bailing twine around it and sell it to Yuppies :lol:

open air then asphalt

Attachments

• woodpile040210.jpg
    woodpile040210.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 903
Not sure I know what you guys are talking about with the rubber roofing. I have only seen felt or tar paper tacked to the decking and the shingles go over that.

Bspring said:
Not sure I know what you guys are talking about with the rubber roofing. I have only seen felt or tar paper tacked to the decking and the shingles go over that.

they use it on flat roofs.

Ice and water barrier on top of pallets would probably be a nice system.

Right now I have 8- 50 or so inch wide corrugated fiberglass panels that came off a back porch.
Will be better than the disintegrating waferboard and sawdus-based t used bookshelf and furniture panels I've been using.
Plywood pieces are standing up better.

I got tired of the ripping and shredding tarps. Even the better ones.

’bert said:
Rick I swear you kick that picture out every once in a while to make sure my jealous gene still works. Let's see a few more pics of that bad boy from different angles. Like enough to copy it! A copy of your woodshed should be mandatory for membership here!

I agree . . . more pictures are needed . . . I still love this woodshed . . . functional and good looking to boot . . . if you had a plasma TV and La-Z-Boy recliner I would be asking you if I could rent it for a few weeks for my summer vacation. :)

I don't know how people get away with using lightweight materials to cover their wood. When I was using tarps, the wind would shred them and rip them off despite being tied down. I'd have to go find them in the bush usually wrapped around a tree. The bloody blue threads would be everywhere, even built into Robin's nests.

Nothing beats well screwed down metal roofing on a shed but the heavy EPDM rubber roofing comes close if a shed isn't an option. At least if the rubber takes flight it won't go far and shouldn't take out a window or punch a hole in the siding. Of the 5 cord that isn't in my shed now, 2 cord is covered with rubber roofing clamped to 20 foot long pieces of rebar to give it additional weight and to hold it up off the wood slightly.

Old galvanized roofing; rubber roofing; old aluminum sheets. Poorest choice is tarps but I've used them from time to time when I run out of other material. The old galvanized roofing seems to work the best.

Backwoods Savage said:
The old galvanized roofing seems to work the best.
OMG! I've seen footage on TV of metal roofing flying through the air after being ripped off of buildings by a storm. I can imagine one of those slicing your head off.

Never had a problem with that here. I do weight them down a bit though.

We do get the odd tornado through here and have dents and busted siding on the house from the patio furniture that took flight. I've had three fabric patio canopies mangled before I finally built one with wood, steel, and concrete.

Only once do I ever remember a bad enough wind here to move much. Out in the more open areas though is a different story.

Just uncovered my stacks after my first winter covering the wood. Used 'heavy duty' tarps. Used bungee cords through grommets, then hooked to nails in pallets. Tarps held up fine - one small hole (which will become larger....). I made sure to take some old rags and placed them under the tarp where corners and other 'sharp' spots were obvious. But......the tarps weren't cheap, and if it turns out that I only get 2-3 years out of them (I'm covering ~ 15 cord), I'll have to try something else - too expensive (probably dropped over $100 on tarps - so, not replacing the tarps often) to replace often. For next year, I was thinking about taking some ~ 8mil, cheap plastic and cutting to pallet dimensions, then stapling a folded end to the top layer of wood, then tossing a some punky wood on the corners to keep wind rippling low. As long as it keeps the leaves, snow, ice, etc. off for the late fall and winter, I'll be happy - I leave my stacks open for the spring, summer, and most of fall. Yes, I know, the plastic will probably not work......
Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Just uncovered my stacks after my first winter covering the wood. Used 'heavy duty' tarps. Used bungee cords through grommets, then hooked to nails in pallets. Tarps held up fine - one small hole (which will become larger....). I made sure to take some old rags and placed them under the tarp where corners and other 'sharp' spots were obvious. But......the tarps weren't cheap, and if it turns out that I only get 2-3 years out of them (I'm covering ~ 15 cord), I'll have to try something else - too expensive (probably dropped over $100 on tarps - so, not replacing the tarps often) to replace often. For next year, I was thinking about taking some ~ 8mil, cheap plastic and cutting to pallet dimensions, then stapling a folded end to the top layer of wood, then tossing a some punky wood on the corners to keep wind rippling low. As long as it keeps the leaves, snow, ice, etc. off for the late fall and winter, I'll be happy - I leave my stacks open for the spring, summer, and most of fall. Yes, I know, the plastic will probably not work......
Cheers!

Yes, tarps = one winter. That is why it is a good idea to use something more solid. Keep your eye open for some old galvanized roofing as that works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.