What sealent to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micbur

Dec 21, 2007
Tallapoosa, GA
We just purchased a new home and have yet to use our fireplace. It is a wood buring fireplace but has a gas line ran to it for a starter or gas logs. I noticed that the chaulk/putty where the gas line comes in to the hearth is cracking and loose. I am affraid to build a wood fire until I can have this resealed. What should I use?

Also....I have noticed a lever on the left hand side about halfway up the frame of the hearth. What does this do? When I move it I feel/hear movement on the leftside of the hearth. This is not the chimney flue...that is operated by lever at the top of the hearth.

Thanks

Thank you for the reply.....there is no gas ran to the gas line in the fireplace yet. For some reason the builder put in the 12" of pipe for converting the wood burning to a gas but that was it. If and when we decide to convert to gas we are going to have to ran a gas line at that point. The builder left a pressure guage on the 12" that he did install...trying to get him out to take it off just so I can build a wood fire at least!!!

Where can I purchase the cement you mentioned? Is this at Home Depot or do I need to contact a fireplace dealer for such? I also saw some posts after I placed mine about high temp silicone?

OK...Yes the pipe stickes into the fireplace about 6"....there is a gas starter assembly I have that needs to be attached to wgere the pressure guage is now located. I am either going to go ahead and attach it or as you suggested once the guage is removed cap it. The other 6" is in the framed wall and does not appear to be plumbed into the basement. When ever we do get gas logs the wall will have to be cut to get access to the other end of the pipe. I will go to Home Depot and see what I can find this evening....if not I will go to a fireplace business where we purchased our other gas fireplace tomorrow.

Even your local hardware store probably sells furnace cement - in tubs or caulk tubes.

There is probably a lever on the outside of the fireplace (maybe what you mention) to turn the log lighter off.

Personally, I don't like these log lighter things. The thought of running a pressurized pipe full of an explosive materials into a wood fire does not sit well with me. I would either remove the entire thing - or hook up gas logs or a gas insert (and not burn wood). But that is just one opinion.

POOK: You mentioned that it would carry heat to the stud wall but this would still be the same if used as a gas starter for wood burning (I had the same setup in a previous house and never had a problem). The pipe would be there while the wood burned. I don't understand why it is OK one way but not the other???

Admin: We want to eventually use gas logs....but at this time it takes money we do not have. We have to buy the logs...have someone run the necessary pipes into the basement and then to outside wall (We would have to use LP and there in no Natural Gas in our area as we are in a very rural area)

Guess I will do as POOK and you suggest....I will remove it all....cap the pipe...cement over it until we can get the gas logs installed.

Now to just fined the cement!!

Pook, in lots of areas of the country they install these gas starters.....I still don't like them! I assume that the specs when these are installed call for keeping the steel pipe away from the studs for at least a foot or so on the way back.... in general, though, these are not used in areas of the US where folks burn a fireplace heavy duty..(like Maine)....more likely where they light a log or two....

There very well may be a 2nd shutoff in the basement, and if so closing off both of the shutoffs would probably do the job and you could leave the pipe alone.

But, as I said, most of us that live in colder climes are scared of a gas pipe coming into a hot fireplace!

micbur said:
Also....I have noticed a lever on the left hand side about halfway up the frame of the hearth. What does this do? When I move it I feel/hear movement on the leftside of the hearth. This is not the chimney flue...that is operated by lever at the top of the hearth.
Thanks

It this lever part of the metal fireplace? It probably controls the outside air intake. One direction would be open and the other closed. When its open it lets outside air into the firebox for combustion so that not quite as much of your preheated room air gets sucked out the chimney.

Stop messing around and install a wood stove insert into that fireplace and get it over with.
You will end up doing that or a pellet stove insert, one or The other, once you find out what it costs to heat with oil or gas in 2008. Or a free standing epa wood stove conversion. The stove stands in from of the fireplace with the stove pipe going up into the fire place flue.

Fireplaces are to look pretty & not to heat, especially with the rising price of firewood these days. fireplace efficiency 10 % at best & negative 10 % most of the time, costing you heat.
fireplaces loose more heat by sucking in cold drafts from outside the house,under the doors & window sills, than they produce.

EPA Wood stove & pellet stove efficiency are 72% range.

Better to sit in front of a EPA wood stove with a big fire viewing window , with your wine & cheese, than a real fireplace.

Of course, even though every thing I say was true, its still just my opinion, every if it is damn good advise.

After all, there is no law that says fireplaces have to make cents, otherwise, how could fuel oil dealers make dollars, selling you fuel for your money burners.

Micbur,

Is this a full masonry hearth? What makes you believe it is a wood burning fireplace?

I would definitely have it checked out by a sweep and I am with Craig, get that pipe out of that firebox.

The lever on the side of the fireplace may be an exterior air source for the firebox, your sweep will clue you in.

Status
Not open for further replies.