What should I expect to replace/pay for when upgrading a wood ZC fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMike349

Oct 26, 2015
Maryland
All,

I recently purchased a home with a standard builder grade zero clearance fireplace (16 years old) and I would love to upgrade to a more efficient wood burning zero clearance fireplace. When doing some research, I really liked the Pacific Energy FP30 Arch fireplace so I went to a nearby dealer to get a quote for installation so I could see what I would have to budget for such a purchase. When talking to the sales associate he mentioned that the entire chimney and chase would have to be replaced (he mentioned tearing off the siding of my house to replace the chase and when all was said and done he quoted us about 15k to upgrade the fireplace.

As a result of this experience, I am curious to see what everyone thinks I should expect (or what would be reasonable to expect) to have replaced when upgrading a zero clearance fireplace and what might be the salesperson trying to inflate my cost.

Welcome. In addition to the chimney and fireplace cost the final cost depends on the complexity of installation, number of stories, chase style, front finishing details, mantel details, etc.. The FP36 fireplace and chimney should run in the $5500-6500 range. Then there is the labor of demolition and installation, materials for patching and reconstructing inside and out.

we recently swapped out to an efficient ZC fireplace. i demo'd the existing box, pipe, etc and prepped our chimney chase (wood framed with siding). we hired out the install of the new fireplace and i think it came to $5300. we added on some masonry as well, and that was another $3000. probably could've done the masonry ourselves, but it was a time vs cost decision.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...t-n-glo-northstar-fireplace-with-pics.149631/

Status
Not open for further replies.