what size chain?..its wore off bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
the writing is wore off the bar telling what size chain i need..its a ms170..i know the standard for this saw..but i wanna make sure

MS 170 Chain Saw

DISPLACEMENT
30.1 cc (1.8 cu. in.)

ENGINE POWER
1.3 kW (1.7 bhp)

WEIGHT (powerhead only)
3.9 kg (8.6 lbs.)

FUEL CAPACITY
250 cc (8.5 oz.)

CHAIN OIL CAPACITY
145 cc (4.9 oz.)

Per Stihl site:

OILOMATIC® CHAIN
3/8" PMM3

GUIDE BAR LENGTHS
(Recommended ranges)
30 to 40 cm (12" to 16")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC® Mini

Note: STIHL recommends #3610 (61 PMM3 55) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 16" 3005 008 3913 guide bar combination.

the chain thats on it....is marked on the links stihl c and pm..i guess its 14 inch bar....but my main question is the guage and drive links

Count the drive links. Usually an even number.
The saw shop by me makes chain all the time, they want the old chain & count the drive links & make a new chain with that many drive links.
61 PMMC3 50 ---
6 = 3/8 pitch
1 = .043, bar grove width
P = Picco
M = micro
M = mini
**They just quit using "C" as an identifier on the latest chart.**
3 = Single-Humped Drive Link
50 = Drive links

Stihl; chain:
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html

Attachments

• Stihl Chain ID.jpg
    Stihl Chain ID.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 31,356
The "C" used to designate a "Comfort" chain. "C" chains had slightly angled the cutter links to reduce vibration. I think thats universal for all their chain now.

Status
Not open for further replies.