What size pipe for my QAK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shisits

Mar 31, 2009
Mid Michigan
I have a 2005 Quad Mt Vernon non AE and would like to install an oak. I plan on making my own oak. The air inlet in the back is only about an 1.5" so would using only pipe 1.5" be too small?

Nope...it should work just fine.

If it only 1.5" on the stove then 1.5" will get the Job done. Mine is 2" I used PVC pipe

What you are really asking is how small can I go before going below the minimum CFM needed for that stove. From a friction perspective if using the same material as the air inlet you should be good. But if the material has a higher friction such as the ridged heat riser hose I used you want it a little bigger to compensate for the increased friction and provide the same CFM.

I would live by the general rule that you can't be too big, just too small. My guess is you will have to jury rig a few connections anyway that will probably have it bigger than 1.5". I would say shoot for 2" or greater and you will guaranteed have no problem.

Thanks everyone for their input. I have installed a 2 inch PVC oak and it seems to be working well. :)

I am confused, I thought I understood that many stove manufactures tell you that your outside air connection must be metal. Why would some say that, and then we have forum members using PVC? Is there something in codes, insurance specs. etc. which drives this?

save$ said:
I am confused, I thought I understood that many stove manufactures tell you that your outside air connection must be metal. Why would some say that, and then we have forum members using PVC? Is there something in codes, insurance specs. etc. which drives this?
No reason for metal as far as I can tell... it draws in cold air.

My stove has a Selkirk-brand vent that incoroprates the OAK into the vent pipe.

krooser said:
save$ said:
No reason for metal as far as I can tell... it draws in cold air.

My stove has a Selkirk-brand vent that incoroprates the OAK into the vent pipe.

Here if you don't use metal it won't pass inspection .That's the only reason I can see .

Status
Not open for further replies.