What speed for circ pumps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
These are the three speed circulator pumps on my gas fired boiler. They pump hot water to the air handlers in the attic from the basement.
The plumber hired by the contractor who worked on my house was not great to be nice. They had them at the slowest speed. I put them in the middle position.
Is there a delta I should aim for between the water exiting the boiler and returning? Or keep them in the middle and stop thinking about it!

if your hydroair is not hot enough put it up to hi. if it takes a while to heat the coil then put it up on high. if the coil is in the attic and boiler in the basement put it up on high. by the way if the fan comes on as soon as the thermostat calls for heat the the hydro air handler needs to be rewired. it should come on after the coil heats up. i can't tell how many time i had to fix that.

frank

Hey frank, total hacks installed my hvac, Mr Pipe! More like Mr crack pipe!!
Anyway, The blower in the air handler does come on as soon at there is call for heat.
I’m a diy guy bc of to many times paying for something that’s done wrong.
I guess I’ll look up the manual. It’s a rheem. I wondered if there were internal switches that would run the fan for like 2 minutes after AC compressor shuts down as well.
Maybe it’s possible via the thermostats. Thanks for replying!
Rob

Hi Rob the air handler can be fixed easy. it needs a strap on aquastat and the fan motor tied into that. as far as your air cond that can be done if the pc board is made with the delay in mind. if it has a pc board it can be switched from 0 to 2 minutes fan delay off. some air handlers don't have this. i'm not sure if you have a board or not. sorry.

Rob yes look it up if it has it it is a simple job. some thermostats do this but you have to find the model and they usually go for over $225.00 just for the tstat.

Reactions: Rob711