What Stihl for a 36" Mill?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
What Stihl saw would be a good power head for a 30" or maybe even a 36" Alaskan mill? I don't even mind going old school (maybe actually prefer it).

I really am not up on the older saws. I know the 440/044, the 660 series, etc. What about the older ones? I also know that an 090 is like the holy grail, but I simply don't need a beast of that size.

Heck - I will even widen the scope - maybe an old mac or some such thing?

I am toying with the idea of getting a mill for some small production of lumber and just getting a grasp of what it is gonna take.

056,075/76 would be good.Cant think of any others. Chainsaw guy in Oregon on Ebay had a monster Homelite 2100S sell a few weeks back,collectors keep the demand & price up there pretty good.

I seen a nice Mac Super 797 recently (same displacement as CP/SP 125,just a few years older with starter on right side & other minor differences).Price is more than I can afford right now.Anything I'm thinking about is gonna have to wait for a while longer unfortunately.But it'll happen someday,I'm a patient man.

Granberg recommends 80cc minimum for milling,65cc or so will work just will be more work & wear on the saw & you.Plus take more time.Everything has some tradeoffs.

Reactions: smokinj
Did somebody say Super 797? Where?

Oh, sorry, back on topic. My super 250 could totally mill that size, but the problem you are gonna have is speed. It will take you forever. Even if I went up in my sprocket the speed just isn't there, but a patient man could easily get it done with that saw.

If you can get into an 075 (I can never find one I wanna buy) then that would be good. You could be the guy that buys one of those Chinese knockoffs of the 075 so I can see one in person (I swear I'd come see u).

Anyway, I hope you understand that once you touch an old big CC saw you will never be the same. My Super 250 is not the biggest and baddest saw out there, but holding that bumbling 87ccs of pure torque is something that no new saw can make you feel, not even an 880. I can only imagine how the SP125 or the Super 797 feels. They are to saws what an AC Cobra is to cars. Pure classic power.

Reactions: Thistle
Dang, two months ago I'd have been all over that auction. Lacking funds currently.

Jags... Buy it, never look back.

when i was in high school we (my dad and I) ran a 076 with a 36 inch mill. It was slow but never had a problem.

Reactions: ScotO
What Stihl saw would be a good power head for a 30" or maybe even a 36" Alaskan mill? I don't even mind going old school (maybe actually prefer it).

I really am not up on the older saws. I know the 440/044, the 660 series, etc. What about the older ones? I also know that an 090 is like the holy grail, but I simply don't need a beast of that size.

Heck - I will even widen the scope - maybe an old mac or some such thing?

I am toying with the idea of getting a mill for some small production of lumber and just getting a grasp of what it is gonna take.
Jags, I'm running the 660 with the 075 when milling, the 090 is waiting it's turn. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/075-stihl.86037/
The 660 was bought for milling (like it a lot) the 075 was just a deal I could never pass up, with the weather cooling off I hope to start up milling in October.

zap

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
The 660 seems like a good size for the job. Be prepared to add gas and oil regularly, I only get about 1 to 2 boards per tank (depending on the wood and the diameter), and it is a pretty healthy tank.

090 If you can lift the mother, Otherwise 660/075/076/880. There is no replacement for displacement, unless ya gotta sling it all day. A C

"Like"

460 isnt a Monster, but is doable :) Or I hope.. I plan to get an Alaskan in a yr or 3!

Yeah I also used a 77cc saw purchased new to power the Alaskan for almost 17 yrs.Worked great on everything up to 24"- 28" or so,just sold it because it had no decomp valve & almost pulled my right shoulder out everytime when trying to start it as I got older..

Anyway, I hope you understand that once you touch an old big CC saw you will never be the same.

Oh - I have slung an old Mac110 around. Trust me, I was never the same. **Ouch**.

Thanks for the info fellas. The super 797 was not even on my radar.

I am still in the "deciding" phase. I am in a situation where there is simply not enough time to do all the things I want to do.

My Super 250 is not the biggest and baddest saw out there, but holding that bumbling 87ccs of pure torque is something that no new saw can make you feel, not even an 880.

I dunno. I had the chance to hold an 880 recently, and I think I felt something move. :eek:

Reactions: smokinj
nah, too much AV on the 880. When you hold one of these old saws for a few minutes you wake up in the middle of the night and your toes still tingle from the vibrations. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.