What stove should I buy # 52879614536

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ64

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
NE Oklahoma
I know this gets asked at least a gillion times but here is my turn.

The house is a double wide (1800 sqr feet) with one of those Dessa fireplaces that weigh only 192 pounds (no kidding - that is the shipping weight!). I want to replace that thing with a wood stove. The wife likes the Oxford Brown Enamel Finish on the Lopi Leyden. I like the stove too and is rated for the footage of the house (some of the rooms we keep shut off).

I was wondering if there was anything else out there that was comparable that I should also consider looking into.

Emissions issues are not a problem since we live in a rural area. Wood is not an issue since I have more down trees than I can cut on this farm.

Attached is a picture of the Lopi Leyden and the specs on it

Heating Capacity Up to 2,000 Sq. Feet
Weight 375 Lbs.
Heat Output 73100 BTU's / Hour
Maximum Burn Time up to 12 Hours
Firebox Size 2.3 Cubic Feet
Maximum Log Size 21 "
Emissions 2.4 Grams Per Hour
Efficiency 70%
Construction Cast Iron

Attachments

• 104262.jpg
    104262.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 448
Thanks for the link! I will check them out as well.

I was just kidding the wife about just powder coating a darn barrel stove and installing it.

That didn't go over too well.

The Leyden is a nice looking stove, but there are a couple caveats. As a downdraft stove, it gets hot in back and needs generous clearances, if this is an issue there are stoves that require less. It requires a minimum 15 ft flue as measured from the floor.

You might also consider a Hearthstone Bennington which is available in brown enamel too.

If you continue with interest in the Leyden here is one on my local Craigslist. Perhaps you could get them to ship it.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/hsh/737353560.html

I don't know if they still have it. There was a local dealer that closed down recently so perhaps this is his stock.

MarkG

So that's a Lopi Leyden...very pretty stove. BJ64 you say this is for a double wide, I'm pretty sure they're are special wood stove code requirements for trailers to meet so you may want to check them out to be on the safe side. I'm not one of the great thinkers on this forum but I'm pretty sure that I read about them here.

savageactor7 said:
BJ64 you say this is for a double wide, I'm pretty sure they're are special wood stove code requirements for trailers to meet so you may want to check them out to be on the safe side.

Yep, I think to be 100% legit, you will need to follow the codes for mobile homes on this install. Not a big deal, and lots of stoves are approved, but something to think about (especially if this is going to be inspected, like for insurance reasons, fire code, building permit, etc.).

Jags said:
savageactor7 said:
BJ64 you say this is for a double wide, I'm pretty sure they're are special wood stove code requirements for trailers to meet so you may want to check them out to be on the safe side.

Yep, I think to be 100% legit, you will need to follow the codes for mobile homes on this install. Not a big deal, and lots of stoves are approved, but something to think about (especially if this is going to be inspected, like for insurance reasons, fire code, building permit, etc.).

I think the only difference is it needs to be bolted to the floor and have an outside air kit to meet code on a manufactured home. Obviously all other codes need to be followed. Other than that everything else is the same. You should double check anyway.

Wow this board is quite active! I like that. :)

I don't have to worry about inspections but I agree on being 100% legit. For the double wide I need to add the outside combustion air kit which is something I wanted anyway. As far as I know this takes care of special wood stove code requirements for trailers regarding the Lopi.

What ever unit we get will be located in a corner since that is where this fire place is located that I will remove. That will give it the required back side air space I would think but thanks for the reminder to double check that.

The 15 foot stove pipe will be a consideration because almost 9 feet of it will be sticking out the top of the house. On the other hand that may be a good place to mount the flood light pointed at the wood pile (just kidding).

Status
Not open for further replies.