what stove should I buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HarryBack said:
UncleRich said:
You can also consider multi-fuels and corn burners.

Corn in CT? C'mon.

Yes, I have a multi-fuel burner but corn seems to be out of the question up here. I haven't even figured out where to buy it, given the geography corn will never beat wood in the NE.

But back to the main question: one should consider looks, too. It doesn't pay to tick off the wife with an ugly black box from the 1970s (unless 1970s is your motif).

Yes, clean, clean and more cleaning. When the log burners are chopping and stacking, then the pellet heads are scraping and vacuuming. There is no free ride.

HarryBack:
Not suggesting the fuel is available, but many of the stoves sold as corn burners are equipped to burn a wide range of bio-fuels. Corn may be their primary use in many areas, but I have heard of many burning soy beans, rye grain, switch grass pellets, Distillers grain pellets, cherry pits and olive pits. Can't say that any one of those alternatives would burn in my stoves.

Corn is availbe in may parts of ct the price has been rising lately but maybe a good choice depending were you live it tends to be some more work most of the corn that can be bought in ct is not all that clean from what i have seen and needs to be cleaned again

Titan said:
I'm not overly familiar with pellet stoves,yet I believe GVA is correct;is their really a pellet stove robust enough to comfortably heat 2200sq.ft. in Conn. on a "design day" mid-winter?If yes, what is it and how many lbs of pellets would it eat per day?

I use a Breckwell P2000FS. Heats my 2700 sf home in NH pretty well, except for -20 or lower days.

Status
Not open for further replies.