What stoves can run for several days w/o shutdown to scrape and poke holes in the fire pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
got another problem--our fire in our smoke box is producing a lot of smoke---so much so that it starts to turn the window black within an hour or so of start-up. We have cleaned it twice, nothing seems to have changed. Both times after running it has shut off --beeping first and displaying "safety smoke". We have NOT changed our pellets and have never had a problem before like this (keep in mind we've only had it 3 months). Any ideas what could be going on?
You broke in on a thread about stove servicing intervals and we have no idea of what stove you have or your history. Start a new thread please with more stove info:)

I let my Hampton GC60 go a week and I'm burning two bags a day of Curran Blend a day. I usually need to empty the ash pan half way through the week. By the end of the week the burn pot is pretty well clogged up and the agitator rod is starting to scrape on the the hardened creosote material thats stuck to the sides. No way could I go two weeks with a complete shut down and cleaning. Maybe with a better pellet things would be different but I get great heat out of the Curran and once a week shutdown is not the end of the world for me.

One thing I like about my Whitfield is the size of the ash pan, you can go more than a month of hard burning without emptying it. I usually empty 3 or 4 times in a burn season. You can go a week without cleaning if necessary, I usually clean after 3 or 4 bags or when the opportunity arises, like a break in the weather. It seems the newer stoves have smaller ash pans or is that my imagination?

Good point. I have several UPSes that are connected to computer in offices, home theater and my networking hub, and as you say, not all will recharge on generator power. They'll just start beeping. I need to pay better attention, as I generally just buy whatever's on supersale on Black Friday!
Another thing is to make sure "pure sine wave output" since you are powering ac motors at 115 volts directly from the UPS during power failure

Reactions: chken
Status
Not open for further replies.