What Stoves Have Thermostats?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
What woodstoves have air control thermostats and do they work?

VC's Defiant and Encore I believe have a thermostat, BK King I think has a thermostat and PE's Alderlea T6 has some kind of EBT thermostat.

Do these thermostats work, do they keep an even stove/room temperature or are they a gimmick?

Thanks!
Bill

The BK thermostat maintains firebox temperature not room temperature. You get a feel for how much heat your going to get out of a burn cycle at a given tstat/blower combination and then adjust based on weather conditions and your heat load. It works extremely well and produces very predictable long burns for me. I always fill the firebox all the way and let the tstat manage the burn.

The Defiant thermostat works for sure. As far as accuracy or tolerances in temps goes, I would guess it is a general range that is maintained. It will go from completely closed to completely open, so it definetly works, mechanically speaking. I am very happy to have it.

My RSF has a bi-metal coil to regulate the air. It is nothing like a wall thermostat for a furnace but it does regulate the air. One needs to keep in mind that the stove is a large thermal mass that is slow to heat up and cool down. Also, the response time between regulating the air and the change in output is slow. On my stove, the thermostat is right next to the OAK supplied intake so the cold outside air will influence it.

I am happy with how it works. For the most part, I can just set it and forget it. I tend to regulate the room temp more by the way I load the stove and the speed I run the blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.