What Temp would it take to burn wood?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gripper93

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2009
central ohio
Ok, this is probably a weird question but I would like to know about what temp. it would take for an old oak wood beam to burn ?? Just heat no open flame,is it possible? Any info would be great. Thanks

The reason why I'm asking is my friend put a make shift chimney for his garage. He has the black pipe running along block and into a stainless steel square chimney (not triple wall single) The stainless is against the oak beam that the trusses set on. He did put sheet metal over the wood so I guess it never is wood to the pipe but it just seams it could get very hot. The wood is approx. 6 feet from the stove.

Pyrolysis(sp) can turn the beam to tinder. Time it takes is like, how long to rust takes to work through a fender. If you have enough heat for normal operation of a stove six feet from the fire it might be as high as 1000 °C. Put the pipe next to the wood even with a sheet between and you have problems. Add to that the condition of the beam and it's moisture content and your friend could torch his building in a weekend. That is why distance to combustibles is so critical to not overlook.

The autoignition point of dry oak is 900 °F . But every time you get wood hot it lowers the future ignition point. A reaction called pyrolysis. So every time he gets that beam hot he lowers the autoignition point until one of these days that point is reached by the heat from the pipe. A process called "Holy @#%^ somebody dial 911!"

We had a mill burn down that was 100+ years old. It started when an employee left a trouble light (one of those portable lightbulb things with the cage over it) on a beam for about 24 hours. It was pine but you get the point... It wasn't THAT hot, but hot enough to start something that couldn't get put out. The whole thing was consumed and 3 floors down on the ground in an hour.

BrotherBart said:
A process called "Holy @#%^ somebody dial 911!"
LOL, BB, I think I might just have to add that to my sig, just not sure how I'd like to put it in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.