What to do when stove gets too hot? (Ashwood)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shredit

Nov 10, 2017
Bonner , Idaho
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love my Ashwood that I just bought this past summer. Since we are in the shoulder season and not quite winter, I’m only on my 3rd burn. I made a fire to break it in and burn the smell off, then a second one on a chilly morning, and then a third just now on a chilly evening. The firebox is only about half full with some Douglas fir and the stove got way too hot. The active zone gauge was pegged all the way at the top for a solid ~40 minutes. It got so hot that the ‘break in smell’ came back and started setting off my smoke alarms. I read in the manual that when the stove gets hot like that for an extended time then it can damage the stove. I’m really hoping I didn’t damage anything. My question is, when this happens is there anything one can do to bring it back into the sweet spot? I closed the damper all the way thinking it would start to choke it out but the fire kept on ripping. If this happens again, what should I do?

PS - absolutely love this stove

Reactions: begreen
Are you reading the Cat guage? Betting so. A brand new Catalyst can peg the needle a number of burns before it settles down in some Catalytic stoves.

As long as your install fits the parameters of the manual, and you’re following the operators manual to a T you should be fine.

Call tech support for confirmation. Enjoy

Were your dampers fully open?
No they were fully closed when this started happening and for the duration
Are you reading the Cat guage? Betting so. A brand new Catalyst can peg the needle a number of burns before it settles down in some Catalytic stoves.

As long as your install fits the parameters of the manual, and you’re following the operators manual to a T you should be fine.

Call tech support for confirmation. Enjoy
Yes I was reading the cat gauge. They call it a catalytic thermometer but it doesn’t give temps, it just shows the active zone of the catalyst, the manual says it’s ok to go above the recommended operating range for short periods of time. That’s reassuring to hear about the break in of the catalyst on some stoves. I plan on calling them first thing Monday morning
What were your stove top temps?
I’m not sure I don’t have a thermometer that shows temperature

For under $40 bucks and you are set.

Let me start by saying that I absolutely love my Ashwood that I just bought this past summer. Since we are in the shoulder season and not quite winter, I’m only on my 3rd burn. I made a fire to break it in and burn the smell off, then a second one on a chilly morning, and then a third just now on a chilly evening. The firebox is only about half full with some Douglas fir and the stove got way too hot. The active zone gauge was pegged all the way at the top for a solid ~40 minutes. It got so hot that the ‘break in smell’ came back and started setting off my smoke alarms. I read in the manual that when the stove gets hot like that for an extended time then it can damage the stove. I’m really hoping I didn’t damage anything. My question is, when this happens is there anything one can do to bring it back into the sweet spot? I closed the damper all the way thinking it would start to choke it out but the fire kept on ripping. If this happens again, what should I do?

PS - absolutely love this stove
It's great that the stove is working well for you. The cat will settle down in a week or two of regular burning. In a month or two, when you get a chance, could you post a quick review in the Ratings section and in this thread?

These links are not working...can you repost...I am interested.
Do you have a ad blocker running? That may be the reason why.
One link is for the REOTEMP S1-F73 Magnetic Analog Surface Thermometer, 50 to 750 F
The other is for the Condar magnetic stove top thermometer.

The color coded temp ranges on some stove top thermometers can be a little misleading for someone less familiar with how hot the stove may be safely run. I’ve seen a couple pictured on or through this site that show 550 and 575 as too hot. Besides being reliable the Condor Inferno begins to show too hot‘ at a more reasonable 650.