What to do with all that shed bark…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I passed a unique solution when walking the dog this morning. A woodshed roof!

DE5BE063-EBDD-4C3B-87E2-CBE8678123C6.jpeg

I like it in concept. But the storage space they've provided is but a few weeks use, at my burn rate. If someone would reconfigure that concept around 20 cords of firewood, it'd be even more attractive. I suspect the challenge is roof slope, as that material probably leaks on anything much less than 6:12 pitch.

Reactions: patrickk222
Probably has to be a steep roof. You could make a long row cover fairly easily. As long as they’re happy.

Reactions: Ashful
Some people are just more creative than we are. ;)

Well, either way, it certainly is more pretty than my rigid row of rather commercial-looking sheds.

Their chickens have a proper roof but their firewood not?
Chickens can live outside....

Priorities, priorities.

(It does look good.)

Until you get high winds. Nailing bark is not really an option I think for bark integrity and leaks?

I saw a house sided in bark once. It was a veneer so it probably wasn’t devistating if it flew off in a wind storm. It looked like it had been up for years. I remember seeing a stack of it in the corner of the property incase it blew off. Maybe it did often, lol. Iroquois and Algonquin houses were covered in it.

Reactions: stoveliker
Early European settlers and convicts in Australia relied extensively on bark huts for survival.

oldbarkhut.jpg

Is that bark, or more veneer (wood shaved off of a rolling log; don't know if that's the correct name for it...)

Different bark though than most bark here or in Europe; I have never seen such large (and flexible?) pieces that would not have holes.

The shed was in my neighborhood, so it’s probably the same group of species you have down there. You’re soil is sandy, which probably means more oaks.

I was commenting on the Aussie picture.

Definitely bark.
These people generally had the clothes on their backs and maybe some very basic hand tools. They are very unlikely to have had the means available to make ply wood.