1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What to do with all the splitter dribilings?

Post in 'The Gear' started by nate379, Apr 9, 2013.

1. nate379

nate379 Guest

Burn barrel/slash pile doesn't work out that great. The last pile we burned, ended up using close to $40 of diesel to get it all burned.

I've had a few customers that wanted me to come back to pick up the bit of "crumbs" that came off the wood during transport. Want the wood on a sliver platter I guess? ;hm

I'm gonna keep my eyes out for a decent prices wood chipper/shredded and use it for chicken/duck bedding.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I bought a half a cord, the guy dumped in trailer with a bucket, had a bunch of trash in the bottom, saved some but just scooped out the rest n burned it .
    But thats just the way it is , and he was scooping it up in a barn off a cement floor, so all the little tid bits got scooped up to
  3. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Bag it into recycled pellet bags and sell it cheap as yuppie chiminea green biomass
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

Haha. No idea where I'd get pellet bags from, very few, if any, pellet stove users around here.
  5. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    What? 300 cord? Who needs that much? Commercial sales?
  6. nate379

nate379 Guest

Uh... yeah, I did mention customers in the first post for a reason ;) I put a down payment on a $35,000 processor on Friday.

7. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Cool , where is the pictures :)
  8. nate379

nate379 Guest

9. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Oh, you must have meant a DECENTLY PRICED...no? :rolleyes:
    gmule likes this.
  10. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
  11. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Enough pressure, and you'll get diamonds!

"She'll never know"
  12. nate379

nate379 Guest

Nope, meant decent priced but auto correct changed it and I didn't notice before I posted. I can't edit using an iPhone.
  13. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
  14. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    I have been studing the pellet / log stuff for quite awhile, dollar wise it just doesn't work out. First the up front expense is a killer 4 grand for the pellet press that really can handle hard and soft wood and then you will still need a chipper/grinder to reduce the material to a max size of 1/4" particulate another $2grand or so. Moisture content of the input material has to be controlled to the about the 12% range. Log presses are even more costly. Add in energy costs ect long long time for payback based on the current prices for a ton of pellets or pallet of compressed bricks.
    I just hate seeing all that possible btu going for ground mulch also, just haven't found or come up with a economically feasible system for conversion yet.
    The cost of production exceeds the return value for almost all of us at this time. I haven't given up on it just can't spend a lot of time messing with it.
    ScotO likes this.
  15. Salharmonic

Salharmonic New Member

Loc:
    Berkshire, MA
    I put it in trash barrels, put it in a tool shed, it dries over the summer and is great kindling all winter
  16. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    I do the same thing with the larger stuff
  17. nate379

nate379 Guest

18. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    bearcatchipper.png
    Smaller stuff gets fed to my chipper

Attached Files:

MasterMech likes this.
  19. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

20. nate379

nate379 Guest

Yup, can do up to 3" branches. Anything bigger than that is turned into firewood.
  21. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I can tell you 3" will be a challenge. <> and it's only 3" if it's a 3" broomstick. ;)

Will also be relatively slow, I understand you are going to be processing a bit more wood than the average homeowner. Even in Alaska. ;)
  22. nate379

nate379 Guest

Used it today and it sucked down several 2.5-3" branches quicker than a fattie with a cupcake.