What to do with large maple trees?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Work Less Play More

May 7, 2009
Central NY
The town recently dropped 3 large maples in my front lawn. I am cutting the limbs for firewood, but the trunks are big, and it seems a shame to not use them.

They are 36" or more across, and up to 25' long.

I have an add on craigslist... but no takers yet... any other ideas?

Why not keep it??????? buck it, get a friend to help split it and get a few years ahead with your wood supply!

If I were closer i'd come and get it.

Next time you are in town, feel free to stop by and have a crack at it. :)

But I was hoping for something else. It's too big for a lot of mobile sawmills, so maybe a wood carver? Or someone with a need for a large beam? It has to have value more than firewood... (yes, looking for at least some cash here)

And besides, why would I struggle and fight with these beast, when I have 120 acres of mostly maple trees, under 18", that produce a lot of firewood, pretty fast... and easy...

Well, I see your point. on the other hand, I dont think a wood carver would give you much... they generally have a source for good quality timber. there is one where i live, he owns some land and he gets it all from there. but you never know.

Me personally, I would process it and use it as firewood and keep my family warm for a week in january. (yes, thats about as long as that would last me...)

Most saw mills won't take a chance on wood taken from near a house. Too high odds of hitting nails / screws from bird houses, wire from animal containment , bullets, etc..
I've got a huge white oak with big chains embedded in it in my front yard. I'm guessing someone pulled an angine out of a car/truck/tractor in the thirties, sometime. Another twenty years or so they won't be visible at all. Someone will seriously ruin a chainsaw chain finding them.

I've got huge cherries I'm cutting down and it sure does seem a shame to be putting such nice wood in the stove. fairly straight, too.

Work Less Play More said:
The town recently dropped 3 large maples in my front lawn. I am cutting the limbs for firewood, but the trunks are big, and it seems a shame to not use them.

They are 36" or more across, and up to 25' long.

I have an add on craigslist... but no takers yet... any other ideas?
You have the equiment NOW GET SOME! lol I do some softmaples in the 60 in. range not as hard to do as you think

Maybe a bowl maker would buy some chunks. Most likely it's just firewood, though.

It's a shame to have to be reluctant about having it sawed. Maybe a direct call to a local mill will give you some answers - they take a chance every time they saw a log. Maybe with a "heads up" they'll have some approach to it that works for them.

Billb3 is correct. Most sawmills will not risk their equipment on "town " trees. Personnally I would contact any local woodturners, local artisans guilds etc. Too bad it's too big for a portable mill because that 's what I would try, I still have about 400' of rough sawn 2" Maple from my last log salvage.

Google "Doyle scale" for linear board foot conversion on your logs, if they are as big as you say you might be surprised. Unfortunately log prices are in the crapper right now compared to 2 years ago...

The 25 footer might make a cool bridge.

mainstation said:
Too bad it's too big for a portable mill because that 's what I would try, I still have about 400' of rough sawn 2" Maple from my last log salvage.

That's not too big for a swing blade mill. Here's a 46" red oak I cut up 2 yrs ago on my Lucasmill. I actually had to move the mill to the log since I could not move it once it was dumped on the ground....but that's what the mill does best. 30 minute setup for one person.

Attachments

• mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 427
  • mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 390
Peter SWNH said:
That's not too big for a swing blade mill. Here's a 46" red oak I cut up 2 yrs ago on my Lucasmill. I actually had to move the mill to the log since I could not move it once it was dumped on the ground....but that's what the mill does best. 30 minute setup for one person.

That's mint. Do you do road trips?

A wood carver or artist is what I had in mind to begin with. I am not looking to retire by selling these, but, times, they be hard ones now... so some cash in the pocket is pretty nice.

The amount of cash I am looking for is just a bit more than the value the logs have for the bonfire.

And I have no use for a pile of boards.

Times are hard all right enough and you'll also find that times are extremely hard for mills too. Many have completely closed down because there are no buyers for the lumber.

We faced the same thing with all the white ash that is being attacked by the emerald ash borer. I could not sell any but did make some lumber for our own use (had portable mill come in). The rest is all being cut for fire wood.

Ask yourself this question: Is it better to try to sell these logs for a few dollars or are those few dollars just as well used in burning to keep the house warm? In our case, we'll keep the house warm. If we happen to sell some firewood (and we have) then that is all gravy. So perhaps you should go that direction in cutting, splitting and stacking and then sell the firewood. To get top dollar, don't even try to sell the firewood before it has seasoned a year....that is, after cutting and splitting.

I burn 4 face cord a year...

Also, I can make a lot of firewood pretty fast with 20" or under trees, of which I have more than I could ever get to.

Maybe a new hobby is in order... chainsaw wood carving looks fun :)

Nah, I don't have the patience!

Status
Not open for further replies.