What to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlbjr

Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
south jersey
Hi. I live in south jersey in a 1900 sqft. split level. I am looking for suggestions on a good freestanding stove.I have considered both the pe classic and the lopi liberty, but would appriciate any input. Thank you.

Im guessing the stove would go on the lower level and you dont already have a chimney for it?

thats correct. I intend to build a masonary chimney with a stainless liner.

More info please.

If on lower level and decently open floor plan I'd go with the bigger unit for longer burn time and plenty of heat.

What are you planning for chimney?

Start laying in wood ASAP. I started thinking about this time of year. I ended up install in October abd went though my dry wood pretty quick.

Welcome aboard!
Mike

edited since you answered the venting issue: I went with a ridgid liner due to same cost and much heavier gauge metal. I insulated it and it draws well and needs very little cleaning.

Thank you. I already have about 2 cord of wood split for next year and i'm still hard at it. I hope to have 5 - 6 cord split and stacked by late spring.

PE and Lopi are both excellent brands. Choosing between the two will probably prove to be a tough choice. I have an Endeavor, and my grandmother has the Liberty. Both are good stoves. Built like tanks. We have a ton of happy PE users here, too.

I think either brand would serve you well . . . happy users of both types here.

And I think the fact that you're already working on wood is another positive!

thank you, I appriciate the input. I was also wondering if anyone out there had a good opinion on if I would be better off with a masonary chimney with a liner or all metal. I can install either, it's just a matter of which is best economically and for the best performance. The chimney will be exposed to the weather on three sides and will be approx. 23'.

jersey boy said:
thank you, I appriciate the input. I was also wondering if anyone out there had a good opinion on if I would be better off with a masonary chimney with a liner or all metal. I can install either, it's just a matter of which is best economically and for the best performance. The chimney will be exposed to the weather on three sides and will be approx. 23'.

I'd run the stack straight up from the stove, and through the ceiling/roof. Masonry is going to be too costly. Inside would keep the piping warmer for a better draft & less chance of heavy build up due to cooling gases.

Thanks . I also live next to a nuke plant, in jersey. sometimes i even work there. I cant sell my wife on the idea of a stack through our bedroom, boxed in or not, so it will have to be outside. If I do a masonary chimney I will do it myself so hopefully it wont be too bad. I'm more concerned with the best performance I can get with an outside chimney.

jersey boy said:
Thanks . I also live next to a nuke plant, in jersey. sometimes i even work there. I cant sell my wife on the idea of a stack through our bedroom, boxed in or not, so it will have to be outside. If I do a masonary chimney I will do it myself so hopefully it wont be too bad. I'm more concerned with the best performance I can get with an outside chimney.

Basement/lower level installs with exterior chimneys are pretty much worst case scenario's with woodstoves. That being said, my woodstove sits in my finished basement on a hearth vented into an exterior chimney and it works amazingly well. My opinion is that a masonry chimney will look much nicer on the outside of your house than a bunch of steel pipe and will most likely add some value to your home. If you got the skills to do it right, and it's not going to cost you an arm and a leg, I'd say go for it.

If your set on masonry outside chimney. Make sure you ahve enough inside measurements to be able to get a liner with insulation down there.
Last thing you wanna have, is all done the masonry, and the new liner & insulation not fitting to go down. You could also do pre insulated double wall liner down the chimney also.
Costs a lil more, but cleans easier & easier to install.

You could also do the outside stack and build a chase for it. Insulate & side the chase with whatever matches the rest of the outside of the home.
Prolly a heck of alot cheaper than masonry. Just an option. Whatever fits your & the wifey's fancy. ;)

Thanks, that gives me a lot to munch on. I think deciding on the chimney wont be so bad.The hard part is going to be deciding on the stove. There are so many beautiful stoves out there. So far I seem to be leaning towards something by Lopi or PE. Also the more I read in this site the more I am convinced those two brands are pretty reliable. This forum is an awsome resource that I'm glad I stumbled across. And yes it does have to fit her fancy. She is a little sceptical with memories of her dad smoking up the house and cooking everyone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.