1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What to expect with amperage draw?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by SIERRADMAX, May 17, 2013.

1. SIERRADMAX

SIERRADMAX Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    RI
    Sizing a UPS for back-up. What should my amperage draw be running my EBW-100 with control panel, fan & a single circulator?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    What model circulator? Usually 100W or less for a typical circulator, and figure another 100W for the boiler fan and control. This is just a rough guess so take with some salt. 300W max for the whole system I'd think.

TS
  3. __dan

__dan Burning Hunk

The problem will be the batteries. Most computer UPS only provide enough battery for an orderly shutdown, 10 to 20 minutes with fresh batteries, which drops to zero as the batteries age beyond 3 to 5 years old.

If you do it by the numbers with a true sinewave UPS and batteries for an extended runtime, the cost could get impractically large. I would not waste my money on the cheap APC units sold retail. You can get free ones all day long that need nothing but new batteries every 3 to 5 years.

The money may be better spent on passive safety, overheat loops, and a small Yamaha or Honda inverter generator.