What to look for in a snow blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shoveled for almost 5 hours yesterday and another 5 today. Got most of mine done yesterday, but had to get my sister-in-law out and then helped some neighbors. I still haven't made paths to my woodsheds, although the 50 degree high today helped. Definitely going to look for some deals.

Just used my 10HP MTD on my 800' driveway to cut threw my plowed snow banks. The driveway was getting pretty narrow plowing it all winter! Just a lowly MTD with a plastic chute and a Tecumseh motor but it clears snow pretty good and it's dependable.

Shot rocks, sticks even sucked up a bed sheet (how'd you like that in your auger and impeller?)

Another one of my stupid human tricks - I went out to my place yesterday (to drop off some h/w blocks) and arrived to a ton of fresh snow plus the snowplow stuff at the end of the driveway. I got the blower out, about 5 minutes into the job I hit an old blanket (one I sometimes fold up over a pallet outside for the pup to snooze on out there while I fart around). I guess I hung in on the fence last week and forgot about it, the wind took it down and the snow covered it over in the driveway. I found it. What the impeller didn't shred, the rest took a few minutes to cut out. No damage, but a PITA.

Reactions: jatoxico
I once found a brick my sloth-like neighbor left in the driveway at my old house (shared drive). That actually jammed in the impeller, where there is no shear bolt, and did some damage to the shroud.

Status
Not open for further replies.