1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What to replace the Harman with?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by mike van, Apr 24, 2013.

1. mike van

mike van Member

Loc:
    Kent Ct
    Since 1996 or so, my SF260 has been getting it done here, as an add-on to the 1964 boiler we have. Except for some serious creosote issues, it has been almost trouble free. There are three 8 to 10 inch long cracks across the face now, and the auto damper has some missing teeth. I could weld the cracks, but I'd rather just have it gone. 9 cords of wood [good, dry wood] this past winter, full cords, stacked on 4x4x4 pallets. Oak, maple, locust, etc. Another chimney fire back in December, had I not been home, could have been really bad. The 8" flue is so full of that hard glassy creosote, the kind you cant get out. I promised my wife [and myself] no more fire up through the house. On to the future.......3000 sf saltbox, base board hot water. Attached garage where I'd like to instal a gasification type boiler, less wood, a stainless chimney up through the garage, less worry [i hope] about fires. I could use some tips or advise about the gasification units, not something I want to buy without some homework - Any help or thoughts appreciated -

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TCaldwell

TCaldwell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    I burned a sf 260 for 6 years, 13 cord/year, went to a garn and saved 5 cord the next winter. Basically most any gasification boiler requiring storage will be a huge upgrade. You might start with a heatloss calc to determine the best boiler output and storage volume for your needs. btw I live in warren.
  3. JrCRXHF

JrCRXHF Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Mid, Michigan
    I have heated 2 years with my SF260 it has been good not any cresote issue beside the last little bit that sticks out of the chimney that is not insulated. But i only run my boiler at night and old during the winter months i use the triangle tube NG boiler during the other parts of the year.

That said sorry about your bad luck. A gasifcation boiler and storage will be a big improvement to the SF260
  4. TCaldwell

TCaldwell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    Mike, did you buy the harmon from dave at the trading post, call me if you want, I could possibly help you.
  5. WmFritz

WmFritz New Member

Loc:
    Northern Lower Michigan
    Mike, you came to the right spot. These guys are gassin guru's. ;lol
    I can't tell you how many hours I sat in the Boiler Room studying. I finally pulled the trigger last Dec and started my first fire in Jan. I put my boiler in an attached garage and couldn't be happier. Well, maybe... with some storage I suppose I could be. ;)
    I'm currently tied into my forced air furnace, so the boiler is doing tons of idling. Still, even with no storage, I have no creosote issue. Later this summer, I will add storage and some staple up radiant loops. I'm really amazed with the low stack temps I'm getting. It's a good feeling going to bed at night or leaving for the day.
    Good advice from TCaldwell. You've got to get your heat loss calculated and then you have a starting point