What to use around the chimney exhaust pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
THE ROOSTER said:
It seems my insulation around the chimney pipe isn't working as well as I hoped... Any ideas on what might be a better solution???
Thanks

Rooster, I think you need to "refresh" everybody's memory of what your "insulation around the pipe" situation is currently. Maybe even some pics?

Why do you think it isn't working the way you want? be more specific.
:)

Right now I just have insulation packed in the chimney around the pipe. I am experiencing some down draft when the stove is not being burned... I am thinking about making more of a cap where the damper used to be, somewhat like a cap that will seal off the chimney but allow the pipe to go up into the chimney...
I am just not sure what or how to build it, and was hoping others on here had designed something that I could build!!!

THANKS

Still can't form a mental picture. Can you post some pics to explain?

Rooster is this for a wood stove or pellet stove?

For a pellet stove I used a piece of sheet metal. I installed a thimble that the pipe fit through. I put a piece of r19 insulation on it and then I bonded it to where the damper was with stove cement. Before the cement hardened I used a few masonary screws. The blue ones(can't remember there name). Then I slipped the pipe in when all was set up. Lastly I siliconed around the pipe.

hope this helps
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.